Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PPhloyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 02:59 PM
    I live in Texas (H1B) and wife in NY (F1 Student) - File taxes jointly?
    I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before - but I was unable to find it in the forums.

I am a foreign citizen on an H1B living in Texas. Since I have been here in the US long enough, I am a resident for tax purposes, and have filed as such for the past few years.

My wife and I were married earlier this year, and she still goes to school full-time in NY as an F-1 student, and is a full-time resident in NY. She will also be a tax resident for year 2008.

For the federal tax return, we intend to file our taxes as 'Married Filing Jointly' as this would be beneficial to us.

What I am unclear about is with regard to filing in NY. My wife has an income from assistantships in NY - but no income in Texas. I have no income in NY.
    For filing the state tax return in NY for my wife, do we have to file jointly since we will be filing jointly for federal taxes? Texas does not have state income taxes, hence no state tax returns.

If it helps, we will only be claiming standard deductions, not itemized, for 2008.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    PPhloyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 03:02 PM

Also, we have no children or dependents.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 05:52 AM

If you file joint federal return, normally you must file joint state return. On the NY return, you are non-resident so non of your income is taxable in NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife and I live and work in different states (NY and CA), can we file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

I live and work in NYC and my wife lives in CA, can we file (MFJ) joint tax return? Or do we have to file married filing separately?

Live in NY work in NJ - should I file NJ Non Resident jointly? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to start by saying that I did go through the existing question before posting this and I could not find a similar situation. Here is my situation: Me and my wife live in NY. I work in NJ and she works in NY. We are filing are our NY state tax returns jointly. I understand that I...

Wife in India - Can I file jointly? [ 2 Answers ]

I got married in Dec 2007 and my wife is still in India. I was in US for most of last year ( except for vacation in India). Can I claim my wife as dependent ( for 2007 taxes)? Can I file married-joint? Thanks

Wife (H4) was not in the US 2007, can we file jointly? [ 4 Answers ]

I was on H1B visa in 2007, previously was on F1 visa from 2002-2006. My wife and I got married in Dec 2007 in China. She came to the US on H4 visa in Jan 2008. She was not physically in the US in 2007. Can we file jointly for 2007? Thanks for you help! -Jun

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

View more questions Search