Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    micky_123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Live in NY work in NJ - should I file NJ Non Resident jointly?
    I would like to start by saying that I did go through the existing question before posting this and I could not find a similar situation.
    Here is my situation:

Me and my wife live in NY. I work in NJ and she works in NY. We are filing are our NY state tax returns jointly. I understand that I have to file an NJ non resident return but I don't understand whether:
    1) I would file the New Jersey 'Non Resident' form as Married filing jointly or Married filing separately? I have this confusion since my wife did not work in NJ and our New York 'resident' tax form is filed as Married filing jointly.
    2) In case I have to file jointly on New Jersey NR form, then would I have to include my wife's income on there?

I would really appreciate if someone could give some advice on this. Thanks a lot in advance.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 07:40 AM
    From Page 4 of the NJ-1040NR instructions:
    http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa.../051040nri.pdf

Married Persons and Filing Status. If both you and your spouse were nonresidents of New Jersey during the entire taxable year, and only one of you earned, received, or acquired income from New Jersey sources, the spouse who had income from New Jersey sources may file a separate New Jersey return even though you filed a joint Federal return. The spouse with income from New Jersey sources computes income and exemptions as if a Federal married, filing separate return had been filed. You have the option of filing a joint return, but remember, joint income would be reported in Column A of Form NJ-1040NR.

Mar 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Thanks ebaines and Joan for these answers:

Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    From Page 4 of the NJ-1040NR instructions:
    http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa.../051040nri.pdf

Married Persons and Filing Status. If both you and your spouse were nonresidents of New Jersey during the entire taxable year, and only one of you earned, received, or acquired income from New Jersey sources, the spouse who had income from New Jersey sources may file a separate New Jersey return even though you filed a joint Federal return. The spouse with income from New Jersey sources computes income and exemptions as if a Federal married, filing separate return had been filed. You have the option of filing a joint return, but remember, joint income would be reported in Column A of Form NJ-1040NR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan
    Since your wife has no NJ income, you can file a non-resident NJ return
    with a filing status of married filing separately. You would only report
    your income on the NJ return.
    I understand that I have to file married filing separately on the NJ norn resident form and only list my income. My only confusion now is that since I will file married filing separately on NJ return, can I file our NY return as filing jointly and use my credits from NJ return(since I am an NY resident)?
    To put it in another way, when I file NY return jointly and NJ non resident return separately, can I still compute my credits for NJ tax and use it on my joint NY resident return?

Once again thanks for your prompt replies, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you guys. You are life savers.

Mar 28, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by micky_123
    thanks ebaines and Joan for these answers:

I understand that I have to file married filing separately on the NJ norn resident form and only list my income. My only confusion now is that since I will file married filing separately on NJ return, can I file our NY return as filing jointly and use my credits from NJ return(since I am an NY resident)?
    To put it in another way, when I file NY return jointly and NJ non resident return separately, can I still compute my credits for NJ tax and use it on my joint NY resident return?

Once again thanks for your prompt replies, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you guys. You are life savers.

Any suggestion anyone?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Yes - you file NY State as MFJ, and take the credit for tax paid to other jursidictions, no problem.

Mar 28, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Yes - you file NY State as MFJ, and take the credit for tax paid to other jursidictions, no problem.
    Thanks ebaines, I really appreciate your help. This clears my confusion.

Cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 L1 should we file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been in New York, US since 8th December 2006 and have J1 visa (trainee). I have SSN and have been working as Software Developer for the company which provided me with J1 trainee visa. My wife came to US in March 2007 as J2 and then she got her L1 status on April 18, 2007. She started...

Live in NYC, work in NJ, how do I file the taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NYC, but work in NJ. My company did not withhold NY tax for me but only NJ state tax. I never live in NJ. So I think I am a NY resident for the whole year. My NJ state income tax withhold is 314. Since the company did not withhold NY tax for me. When I was trying to fill in the IT-210, I...

Can J1 and J2 file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in J1 status and my husband in J2. He works and has his W-2. According to the treaty between China and US, I don't need to pay any tax. So in this case, can we file Form 1040NR jointly? Thank you for answering my question.

Fed employee, must I file in both states where I live and where I work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Was told by former CPA and filed this way through him for years. He states that because I was a fed civilian employee, I did not have to file NY state taxes and could get away with only filing NJ state taxes since that is where I live. My gut tells me he is wrong... but he comes highly...

View more questions Search