Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pauly2121 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Goodman heatpump
    May be a dumb ? But new to me. Does a heat pump run in the same pressures even if its in heat mode? I have a unit low on freon charged it as much as possible.. outside temp is 50 degrees. The highest the low side would go would be about 28 degrees on the r-22 gauge. Is that normal or should it get above freezing?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 29, 2008, 10:56 AM
    First of all you need to have a EPA certificate to tap a sealed refrigerant system let alone charge one. If you have this license then you already know the answer to your question.
    pauly2121 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 11:43 AM

Im epa certified. But new at service.. my boss is always busy to help me out. I no it sucks so I'm trying to learn on my own to get some knowledge from someone with a lot more experience then me.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Before you mess things up I suggest you go to a school. Many times these are offered at your equipment suppliers for free. Just starting to play with one is not the way to learn since there is much more to heat pumps than meets the eye.

I do not post info about sealed systems on this site. It can get a homeowner in a big bunch of trouble and usually homeowners are the only folks who ask those type of questions here.

The factory way to charge a heat pump is to read the unit charge chart. Recover the refrigerant with your recovery machine and recharge by weight. That is how the factory calculates the exact charge. Naturally check for proper charge when done but usually the factory style charge will get you very close.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heatpump not working [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lennox heat pump and when it is turned on in the heat mode the head pressure goes up 500psi and compressor starts to over amp but when it is turned over to coolling the unit runs fine it is a 410a unit

Installing heatpump or AC [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm remodeling a house built in '32, with an addition in the 40s or 50s. The house is about 1200sq ft (800 sq ft w 9' ceilings, 400 sq ft with 8'ft ceilings) with a 1/2 basement where the heater (oil) water heater, circuit panel etc. At present there is no AC in this house, although the air...

Heatpump thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goodman heatpump with a janitrol 1890 thermostat it has never switched the aux heat on .When the temp gets too cold for heat pump to make heat .I have to turn emergency heat on myself .Book says model1860 thermostat is what should be installed is this my problem if so a new thermostat...

Goodman Heatpump Blower Intermittent ON [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman (Janitrol) Model # CPE36-1AB heatpump cooling AC system about 14 years old (new in 1992). The outside unit comes on in heat mode but the blower sometimes doesn't come on in the air handler . I can feel the insulated pipes leading into the evaporator are hot in the air handler and...

View more questions Search