Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spophmonk21 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Male cat spraying.
    I have a 4 year old male cat that has a big spraying problem. He started doing it about a year ago and it just keeps getting worse. He is spraying everything. I find it on my clothes, furniture, bedding, suit cases, wrapping paper, walls, cupboards... He even sprayed my sister once when she was sitting on the floor. I just don't know what to do about it. I mean, I love him a lot but I am getting sick of it! Yes, I have other cats, but I have had other cats since I got him as a kitten. It is getting to the point where I don't even want him in the house anymore. It seems like everyday he is spraying somewhere new. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 03:28 AM

Hi, spophmonk21!

Have you ever had him neutered? In my lifetime of experience with having cats, it's always been the case that doing that solves the problem. However, that doesn't mean that there couldn't be some other kind of problem going on.

Thanks!
    spophmonk21 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 06:59 AM
    I forgot to mention that he is neutered!
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 12:06 PM

He needs to have a urinalysis done first to rule out an infection-easiest to fix! If that comes back negative, there are behavioral drugs to try-usually have to keep them on them for a period of 6 months then taper off-such as Prozac for humans. A very, VERY small percentage of cats don't respond to treatment-I've seen one in my 13 year clinic career. Plan for him to stay at the vet for a day to collect the specimen and good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Male cat peeing (not spraying) on beds. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

Understandably, I'd like to stop my 8 year old, male, neutered cat from urinating on my beds. He has been with us for six months without any urinating outside of the cat box, but over the last two weeks he has performed on three occasions. There hasn't been a change to the routine in the house. Any...

Spraying my car [ 1 Answers ]

Hi what is the best paint to spray my car with the coluor is (red) :confused:

Deter Male cat from spraying [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We have just moved into our new home a month or so ago. We own 2 neutered female cats (indoor)... The problem is that I have notced a big fat male cat hanging around. When I get up in the middle of the night to feed bub. I can hear this annoying cat moaning (whatever it is it is doing! ) &...

Spayed male dog humping other male dogs. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My male dog mixed boston terrier/pug. He has been spayed at 4 months old. He never bother females dogs. But when a small male dog comes around he wants to hump her all the time. Why is that? How can I break him from it? I though once spayed they do not have the desire to hump. And why he only...

View more questions Search