Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxiegirl125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Distemper in dogs
    I had a dog with distemper and she had to be put to sleep. How long should I wait to bring another puppy in the home and how do I disinfect the house well enough to bring one home right away?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Dec 24, 2008, 03:28 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I searched up on Google, how long and found a couple different answers, one being 4-6 weeks and the other being 8-9 weeks. However I am not 100% sure so hopefully someone else will be able to answer this for you.
    *I do however think it is a bad idea to bring one home right away. And suggest that this time you get your new dog his vaccs. In most places I am aware that they are even mandatory, in my town they are not but still had to pay 115$ for my dogs distember,rabies and a few more, although the price down here is outrageous it was worth it, having peace of mind.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Dec 24, 2008, 08:18 AM

I would recommend adopting a puppy who already has at least 2 series of their shots, if not three. Rescues are a great place to start. Bleach is the best way to disinfect in my opinion. Use it on everything you can, laundry, mopping, dog bedding, dishes and toys. Hopefully there be more information posted soon, although I am sure traffic on the site might be slow with the holidays. I'm very sorry about your loss.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 26, 2008, 02:13 PM

I'm at my clinic right now and the vet said make sure the new dog has had all 3 sets of vaccinations and is at least 12 weeks of age and all the poop from the other dog is gone and you should be fine. She said distemper is not as easily transmitted as parvo is. It's usually through nasal discharge or saliva. Don't really need to bleach, etc except for where the other dog spent most of his time laying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My kitten might have distemper. [ 1 Answers ]

My aunty has several(20-40) cats at her house(she lives in a small town with zillions of cats) she has 2 indoor, and ten outdoor(that she feeds/sees regulary, there all kind of friendly, but recently one of them had kittens(3) one has distemper, and it is the one I LOVE he is friendly cute, and...

Distemper shots [ 6 Answers ]

Is it nessary to get a distemper shot every year ?

Distemper [ 5 Answers ]

What else should I do with a puppy that was diagnosed with distemper (I found it in the streets) went to the vet. And he gave it the shots but all of the sudden this puppy had diarrhea and difficulty standing up straight I went again to the Vet. And was diagnosed with distemper. Is she going to...

Distemper shots for dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I read on a holistic website that shots are not very healthy for dogs, that most shots are good for several yrs, and that the only shot required by law every 3 yrs is a rabies shot. So I just skipped the shots for my shit-zu this year. My neighbor's german shepherd just died of distemper, because...

View more questions Search