Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Distemper shots
    Is it nessary to get a distemper shot every year ?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Yes, it is necessary. The following was taken directly from the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) website:

Canine Distemper

General Information

Canine distemper virus may occur wherever there are dogs. It is the greatest single disease threat to the world's dog population.

Younger dogs and puppies are the most susceptible to infection. Among puppies, the death rate from distemper often reaches 80%. The disease also strikes older dogs, although much less frequently.

Even if a dog does not die from the disease, its health may be permanently impaired. A bout with canine distemper can leave a dog's nervous system irreparably damaged, along with its sense of smell, hearing or sight. Partial or total paralysis is not uncommon, and other diseases — particularly pneumonia — frequently strike dogs already weakened by a distemper infection.

Cats are not susceptible to canine distemper. The so-called "cat distemper" is a different disease caused by a different virus. Neither disease is transmissible to humans.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Does Distemper Do?

Canine distemper is a highly contagious disease caused by a virus.

Canine distemper virus is most often transmitted through contact with respiratory secretions. Contact with the urine and fecal material of infected dogs can also result in infection.

The many signs of distemper are not always typical. For this reason, treatment may be delayed or neglected. The disease frequently brings about something like a severe cold. Most infected dogs have a fever and "stuffed up" head. Exposed animals may develop bronchitis, pneumonia and severe inflammation of the stomach and intestines.

The first signs of distemper an owner might notice are squinting, congestion of the eyes, and a discharge of pus from the eyes. Weight loss, coughing, vomiting, nasal discharge, and diarrhea are common. In later stages the virus frequently attacks the nervous system, bringing about partial or complete paralysis as well as "fits" or twitching. Dogs suffering from the disease are usually listless and have poor appetites.

Sometimes the signs may be very mild and perhaps go unrecognized, or the dog may have a slight fever for a couple of weeks. If pneumonia, intestinal inflammation or other problems develop, recovery takes much longer. Nervous problems often last many weeks after the animal has recovered from all other signs of infection. Occasionally the virus causes rapid growth of the tough keratin cells on the footpad, resulting in a hardened pad.

Distemper is so prevalent and the signs so varied that any sick young dog should be taken to a veterinarian for a definite diagnosis.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prevention and Protection

Dogs that survive a natural infection usually develop sufficient immunity to protect them from distemper the rest of their lives. Many dogs — particularly pups — do not survive a naturally-acquired infection. The safest protection is vaccination.

Puppies born to dogs which are immune to distemper acquire a degree of natural immunity from nursing. This immunity is acquired through substances in the colostrum, which is the milk produced by the mother the first few days after giving birth. The degree of protection a pup receives varies in proportion to the amount of antibody its mother has, but the protection diminishes rapidly.

Your veterinarian can determine the most advantageous time to begin vaccination based upon his or her experience and the general health of your dog. Ask your veterinarian about a recommended vaccination schedule.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:04 PM
    RubyPitbull is right. Every dog should have at least an annual check up plus shots, usually a combination one. Many states require a rabies shot every year.
    aaren22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 12:30 PM
    After having my baby puppy just die of distemper I would say it is absolutely necessary. They say 80% of dogs who get distemper die from it. Our vet said in his experience its more like 95% and the 5% that live have serious problems. Trust me, the shot is so worth it not to have to see your dog die of that!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Aaren, I am so terribly sorry for your loss.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Absolutely. Keep all vaccines up to date.
    aaren22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Thanks RubyPitbull, it was pretty horrible, she was the sweetest puppy and we thought we were saving her by adopting her from a kill shelter. All in all we are just really glad that we got to give her a good home for a little while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Distemper shot [ 4 Answers ]

My dog recently received her distemper booster shot. She is 9 years old. She is now experiencing fluid in her abdomen/chest and is on vasculitis meds, antibiotics and has had her abdomen drained twice. Her symptoms of difficulty breathing began 1 week after her shot. Is there any chance they...

8 week puppy with distemper [ 22 Answers ]

I adopted an 8 week old puppy from a shelter where I live in Brazil. She was fine when I got her-Tuesday Jan. 9 but then two days later she had a runny nose and then the following day she had what seemed to be congestion in her chest. Thinkins she had a cold, I took her to the veterinary...

Distemper [ 5 Answers ]

What else should I do with a puppy that was diagnosed with distemper (I found it in the streets) went to the vet. And he gave it the shots but all of the sudden this puppy had diarrhea and difficulty standing up straight I went again to the Vet. And was diagnosed with distemper. Is she going to...

Distemper shots for dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I read on a holistic website that shots are not very healthy for dogs, that most shots are good for several yrs, and that the only shot required by law every 3 yrs is a rabies shot. So I just skipped the shots for my shit-zu this year. My neighbor's german shepherd just died of distemper, because...

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search