Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HeatherP Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Newborn premie baby emergency!
    My sisters baby is about a month premature and the baby was born 18 1/4 inches and 6.8 lbs. He is having trouble eating, my mother had to pretty much force him to eat last night and his chest heaves and he has trouble breathing. My sister thinks he's having a seisure when he does that, please help and tell me what is really happeneing, if you need more information about it tell me please! The baby is only about 4 days old.:(
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 08:39 PM

Has she spoken with a doctor?

Dec 15, 2008, 08:50 PM

No she is to afraid that the baby might be taken from her for various reasons.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 08:54 PM

This is outrageous... she REALLY needs to speak with a doctor by phone at least. If she really cared about this baby she would risk it...
    xxariesxx Posts: 202, Reputation: 40

Dec 15, 2008, 08:54 PM
    If she doesn't call the doctor to do something about it, whoever would perhaps take the child away would have even more of a reason to do so.

This is about the child's health! If she not willing to call the doctor to help her child then I would question her parenting as well. We can't help you with that here, you need to contact someone.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 08:59 PM

Call 911. Sounds like bany is having respitory distress. It should be in a hospital
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 09:00 PM

:( this breaks my heart for that baby
    marriaget Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Dec 15, 2008, 09:04 PM

SHE NEEDS TO CALL EMERGENCY. Would she have it taken away or die?
    & it shouldn't be taken away, they will just cure it and give it back, why would they take it away.. anyways does she want it to die? DOCTORRRRRR!!

Dec 15, 2008, 09:08 PM

She said it only happens sometimes, I saw it happen when the baby was laying down and she picked him up and it stopped, if she needs to take him in then I will tell her right now, she's a first time mother and she doesn't think my mom knows what she's talking about to help her.

Dec 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Also the baby was born with drugs in his system.

Dec 15, 2008, 09:20 PM

Oh... well.. look. I'm serious, if there is ANYTHING wrong or doesn't seem right you NEED to take it to the doctor. Whether you can afford it or not, babies are not strong and can die easily. & I'm sure she'll feel guilty if it dies. It's very young, and since it was born with drugs in it's body, you definitely need to go get it checked out. Besides you need to bring it to the doctors to get all it's shots and check ups, helloooo. What is she stupid or something? Something is wrong with a helpless human that can barely see and is dependent on the mother. Go NOWW, unless you would like it to suffer and grow up with even worse problems. It can get severely worse if nothing is done.

Dec 15, 2008, 09:26 PM

My sister is asking my older brother his opinion wich is why she hasn't taken the baby to the hospital yet, he is telling her to take the baby into the shower and just stand in the bathroom with the hot water on so the steam will help but I don't know, my brother won't listen

Dec 15, 2008, 09:35 PM

Nooo, until the part of the ambilical cord falls off... you can't put it in water.
    It should dry up and fall off, the skin sticking out of the belly button)))

For now she should clean it with moist paper, the ones you clean you're behind with... baby wipes... anyways... no washing till it falls off.

I recommend baby books, they help a lot and she should have read them before she gave birth... and
    NO MORE DRUGS! Not good. For her or the baby. If she loves it she should take it to the doctor, please for pete's sake... take it, WHAT IF IT DIES, YOU'LL HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF HER, THE BRO, THE MOM... ETC. It can develop in a bad way, or die.

Just doctor, she doesn't even know what's wrong with it, why would she put steam or the water and warmth on it? She doesn't know what the problem is, call a doctor, go to the hospitalllllll!! I'm getting mad! Common!
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 09:38 PM

Just call 911 yourself if no one will listen... please. You will be saving this baby!
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 03:08 AM

If the baby was born with drugs in her system she will be going through withdrawal. She needs assistance now to come off the drugs.

The mother is only trying to save herself not the baby. Is she had the babies best interest at heart she should call 911, or have someone else call.
    leanamae_89 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Okay my son was born a month and a half early... talk to a doctor!! Seriously he may need to be on an apnea monitor... my son was on it for 3 mo. It lets you know his breathing and if his levels go below normal! The feeding may take a while but he will get it... mean- while if he can't grip the bottle nipple with his mouth kind of support his cheeks when he has the bottle in his mouth like lightly pull it towards the nipple so he learns the sucking abilities!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 07:57 AM

If he was born with drugs in his system, what sort of information regarding his care did they give to your sister before discharge? If you are in the US, what state are you in?

How is he being fed?

Without seeing what he is actually doing it could be drug related, it could be normal newborn respiration, but if she is concerned, she needs to have him seen.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Dec 16, 2008, 08:54 AM

Does she understand that if he dies she's probably going to prison? It's time to act like a responsible mother and get that baby looked at. This is how neglect/abuse/endangerment cases start, do you REALLY want that on your conscience? Do not fail at getting a doctor to look at this child. Even if you have to tell her "Take the baby to the doctor now or I'm calling children's services" do what you have to. It's not going to be easy but it just might save his life.
    Ber
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 11:53 AM

She must not have had the baby in the hospital, they would have found the drugs in her system at birth. Must have been a home birth
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 11:58 AM
    It was not a home birth, if you read her other thread.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/nursin...up-289313.html

Apparently, the drug was probably cocaine since she had an abruption. So, this baby is probably going through some serious withdrawals and needs to be seen by a doctor, not her brother or her mother. A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Decomposition of a premature newborn baby [ 1 Answers ]

My premature newborn son passed away 18 years ago and was buried in a wooden coffin. I am about to relocate and want to exhume his remains to be cremated. I need to know how long does it take for a premature newborn body to decompose and will I find any remains left to cremate?

Custody battle when my newborn baby gets here [ 1 Answers ]

My baby's father and his mother are threatening to take away my baby when its born and I don't do drugs, I don't drink, I do everything I am supposed to during my pregnancy and I just don't want to get attached to this baby for somebody else to take it away when they don't give me money for...

My newborn baby [ 3 Answers ]

My child was born in December of 2007 can I file her on my 2007 taxes

My newborn baby [ 13 Answers ]

My 6 week old son has really bad gas and is constipated.Its hard to get him to sleep at night because the gas and constipation keeps him up... I give him gas medicine but he still has a lot of gas.What could I do about the gas and constipation?? :confused:

A Newborn Baby [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I Would Like To Know The Minimum Age Requirement Of A Qualifying Child Because I Had My Daughter On Oct, 19 2006. Will I Be Able To Claim Her For The Year Of 2006? I Mean She Was In My Stomach The Entire Year So Does That Count As EIC?:confused:

View more questions Search