Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LittleLu22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Does husband get house?
    I recently refinanced my home. The loan and deed are only in my name. However I was recently married and my husband had to sign forms stating that he was aware of the mortgage because Florida is a Homestead state. At least that is what they told me. My concern is that if something happens to me, does the house automatically become his? I would want the house to go to my mother. How can I make sure that she gets the house and not my husband. She is not on any paperwork, but helps me pay the mortgage. She and I have lived in it for years before I ever met my husband. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 07:38 PM

Within Australia you can make a prenuptial agreement with your partner that would be advisable if you own property and even if you are only living together. I imagine a similar agreement could be made once you're married or living together. You can also state in your will who you want your estate to go to, including your home, or how it's to be divided. You need to see a solicitor for advice and to have any agreements between you and your husband made legally binding. I hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can My Husband Kick Me Out of Our House? [ 16 Answers ]

I am 42, live in Maryland, have been married for 15 years and am seeking a divorce. My name is not on any property (house, car, etc) except for a joint checking account (which he is taking money out of as soon as it goes in). My husband is threatening to "kick me out" if I file for divorce. I...

Need to get Husband out of house [ 3 Answers ]

I want to separate and file for divorce from my husband. I have told him repeatedly that I am done with him and don't want him around. His response is that I'm just being silly and everyone has their problems. He has been abusive in the past and I'm a little intimidated to push the issue. We...

Ex-husband going bankrupt - get my house? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband is thinking of going bankrupt. We have been legally separated for over 5 years (but not legally divorced - I am in the process of doing that). When we separated I bought him out of our family home. The deed to the house is in my name only. Can my ex-husband's creditors go after my...

Can't get husband out of house [ 5 Answers ]

I've told my husband several times that I want him gone. I'm done with our marriage. I don't want any advice on helping it etc.. All I need to know is how to actually make him leave? Besides getting the law involved. He doesn't work right now so I don't have a chance to get the a locksmith over and...

Add my husband to the deed of my house [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know how I can add my husband to the deed of my house. Thanks, Judy

View more questions Search