Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovekarma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 02:27 AM
    Washington State Adoption: There is no father listed on birth certificate
    OK... so in the last month of our relationship I got pregnant. Didn't know until a month after that. Took the respectful route and told him before anyone else. He gave me every excuse to get rid of the baby. "i would be a terrible father" "you don't want to have kids with me" "i should go back to iraq and let them finish the job" (he was hurt from bomb and was discharged) then he got controlling. "you can' t do this by yourself!" yes I can "when we get married" ummm no you cheated... "well this is gonna happen if you want me there!" nope sorry don't want to forfeit a possible happy life "i don't want to be a weekend dad. its all or nothing!"

Well the baby showed up... a mutual friend called him 10 minutes after and he said to our friend "if you ever mention the baby again I will end you!" (ya I picked a winner... ) so he never came down to sign the birth certificate. I haven't changed my number. I kept him up to date with all of the dr visits while pregnant, going against legal advice due to his controlling manner.

Currently it says mother: my name and father: un-named. I have a wonderful husband now and he IS my baby's father. He is amazing and wants to adopt my child!

OK question... Do I still need to go through the whole terminating of parental rights thing?

He isn't on the because and I have never gone after him for cs. He has never called for our child but has called to harass me about us being together. (never once mentioning wanting to be a family with our child)

My husband is a wonderful father and comes from a family who has adopted step children but doesn't know the answer to this one. If I can skip a VERY awkward and anxiety filled face to face conversation with this person that would be FANTASTIC!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 12:14 PM

Sorry---he STILL has rights, and you STILL have to get them terminated.

I HIGHLY suggest doing it through a lawyer. If he refuses out of spite, go after him for as much child support as possible, and get it retroactive.

When he has the choice between child support and terminating rights, my guess is that he'll sign over his rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biological father needs to be added to birth cert. When other man listed/ name change [ 31 Answers ]

When my daughter was born my ex was thought to be her biological father but found out otherwise at a later date. Everything was proven through paternity tests, but now my problem is I don't even know where to begin getting everything resolved. My ex's name is on the birth certificate and needs to...

Washington state adoption process [ 5 Answers ]

Do I need to hire an attorney to have my husband adopt my daughter? Her biological dad has only seen her 5 times in her life. She is 9 now. It has been 18 months since any contact has been made. Im not even sure where he is but I have heard and am pretty sure he is overseas now. My husband is the...

Adoption and adding adopted father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting married in a few weeks and my soon to be husband is wanting to adopt my son. My son's birth certificate doesn't have a father's name on there, just mine. I was wondering if my husband's name could be added on to my son's birth certificate. I appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Rights of a father not listed on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana and am pregnant with my first child. The father of the baby has expressed no interest in the baby and will not be listed on the birth certificate. What rights, if any will he have even if he isn't listed on the birth certificate?

View more questions Search