Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janitor man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 07:28 AM
    New fans on a new circuit
    I have just put a new patio and I have wire drops for 4 ceiling fans with lights.
    The wire is 14/3 so that I can switch fan and light seperatly. Can all four go on one new 15 amp circuit? How do I attach 3 wire at the box for the new circuit.
    Also I will not be using a wall switch only a remote?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 10:03 AM
    The four fans will fit fine on a 15 amp circuit, each fan is probably about only 1 or 2 amps each. What needs to be considered is the lighting. Assuming each fan uses three 60 watt lamps, one lamp is .5 amps, for a total of 6 amps for 12 light bulbs. If each fan draws 2 amps, times four fans + 8 amps, plus the 6 amps for lighting totals 14 amps.

So, check the amp load of each fan and be careful of the total lamps you will use. You may want to consider using smaller lamps or even use compact fluorescent lamps.

At the switch location, I assume you will have two switches, one for fan and one for lights, and I assuem you have a feed cable. The white connects to the feed white (neutral), the feed hot feeds one terminal on each switch, and you can connect the black of the 3 wire cable to one switch and the red to the other switch. The switched black and red can be used for wither all the fans or lights, color code does not matter here.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 10:13 AM
    If you are using remotes and not wall switches to control the fans, you can use 14/2. However given the reliability of most remote fans I would advise against this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote and fans [ 8 Answers ]

I am not sure how to answer the question you sent so I am just starting over Not sure how to use this web site yet. My question is I have two fans with pull Chains, I can hand control one for speed, the other I can not. There are switches on the walls that turn on the fans but the switch for...

Ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older fan that only has 3 wires a black, white, and blue. And coming out of my ceiling there's only a black, and white. Sooo wheres my ground wire from the ceiling? (the electrical box?) and is the blue wire from the fan my ground? Cause I could ground it to the electrical box. Please...

Hunter fans [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a Hunter wall mount remote control for my hunter fan. Can anyone help?

Tower Fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have looked and cannot find info on what the advantages of the fairly new tower fans are to a traditional circular blade fan. Can anyone explain. I have a fairly large living room that is open to the dining area and kitchen so its hard to cool. I'm limited because my wife doesn't like drafts...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search