Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    focusnnj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Security Deposit
    Hello I'm new. I live in NJ, and my landlord failed to inform me where my security deposit was within the 30 day law requirements. The landlord resides on the second floor and in the attic is her sister and nephews. I reside on the first floor. Can I use my security deposit for my rent?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Not yet. First you have to send your landlord a letter by certified mail that you want your landlord to comply with the Security Deposit Law. If they haven't informed you where the security deposit is being held within 30 days after they receive that letter, then you can send them a certified letter telling them to apply your security deposit to your rent as it comes due.

(The Security Deposit Law does not apply to owner-occupied 2 or 3 family dwellings unless you send the landlord a letter telling them to apply it.)

You can read the NJ Truth in Renting Guide online at http://www.nj.gov/dca/codes/lt/pdf/t_i_r.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I had given my landlord a 2-week notice that I was moving and verbally told him about 2 weeks befiore that; I would possibly be closing on a new house on August 31, 2007. I sent him the notice on October 22, 2007. However, I have him my keys on Sept 4, 2007 thinking he got the letter. He claims...

Security Deposit in CA [ 1 Answers ]

CA Civil Code 1950.5 states, " No later than 21 calendar days after the tenant has vacated the premises, but not earlier than the time that either the landlord or the tenant provides a notice to terminate the tenancy under Section 1946 or 1946.1" I understand that the landlord has 21 days to...

Who can sue for a Security Deposit? [ 9 Answers ]

I need assistance in finding out the likelihood of getting a case dismissed where I, a landlord, am being sued by the son of a former tenant for the amount of the security deposit that he gifted to his father, my former tenant. I am wondering if, since I have no contractual relationship with the...

I need a security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Help With Getting The Move In Money For My House That I Am About To Move Into In Another 2 Months

View more questions Search