Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busy ladies Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Apartment turnover and hallway estimate
    Hello to you all!
    I have posted a couple of times here before and have always received a lot of great responses. I own a small residential and commercial business here in Omaha, Nebraska. I have an appointment tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. with an apartment complex to do a tour for their turnover and hallways. This complex has 110 units and 15 buildings!! I have no clue on how to bid? I have cleaned for other companies doing this kind of work but never the business side of things... I'm nervous about going tomorrow but I also know that I know I need to do this! Is there anything I should bring with me? Also, what questions should I ask them? Do I offer them a bid tomorrow? How do I bid this? Do I need a contract? Sorry for all the questions but, I'm in need of some great advice FAST! I know I came to the right place to seek good and honest advice! Thank you in advance :):):):):)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 04:48 AM

Hi, busy ladies!

You already know me here. This sounds like a thread that Stringer could really sink his teeth into. As such, I will let him know about your post.

A few things that I can think of right off the bat that you'll need though are, a notebook and pen or pencil to write things down. A way to measure areas, if you're going to be bidding according to surface area at all. Your proof of at least liability insurance, should they ask for it. Your list of references with contact information, should they also ask for that. A calculator is something else that you might want to have available.

Concerning questions that you ask of them - you're potentially going to be providing a service to them. I would suggest asking them questions about what they're going to specifically need and want. Once you see the place, you can be creative and come up with questions about things that maybe even they haven't even thought about. It could bring you more bucks if you can be creative thinking about the possible things that they might need done.

From my standpoint, you don't actually have to have the bid ready even immediately after meeting with them, especially if you're going to be putting it together to look neat and professional in maybe a word processing program such as Microsoft Excel or Word. However, it would be best to be getting a bid into them in no less than a couple of days. A contract can come later, if a contract is even needed at all.

But, Stringer will no doubt be able to tell you more as to how you need to be prepared. I just hope that he will happen to come along in time!

I will private message him, now!

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 04:53 AM
    I have private messaged Stringer, and hopefully he should be along sometime soon.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 08:24 AM

Good morning Busy Ladies,

Thank you Clough for your kind works and notifying me.

You will not be giving a bid today, never give a price doing the first meeting, walk through or OVER THE PHONE. Unprofessional and you will make a mistake guaranteed. Remember, you bring the professionalism to the toilet cleaning business. Usually you have a week to two weeks after the walk throughs before a bid is due, although occasionally 3-4 days after when the client's situation calls for it. Always give a professional proposal.

110 units in 15 buildings;

First, your plan on handling this is uppermost. A start up of this size can be hazardous to your health. If all the buildings start at the same time you will need to have someone help you manage this, someone who thinks as you do and that you can trust.....

If you get the job;

Start getting the personnel you need, don't wait a minute. Some of these people will not work out, have back ups ready. Train them well, even if they say they have done this before. Train them your way.

You will probably have mostly open space carpet to clean, proper equipment will save yo time and money. If the hallways are 6 to 8 feet wide, rent or buy a 3 foot walk behind vacuum. You will make less "runs" and cover more space. Although you will still need a regular vac for small areas, highly suggest a "back Pack" vacuum...saves you time also.

To the walk through bring;

Yourself and another person, neatly dressed and looking very professional. The second person will hear things you may not, they take notes also.

Have in your car a "wheeled" measuring tool to measure anything that is not clearly specified with square footage. You can purchase these at a distributorship or Costco/Sam's. Although they should have the square footage for you.

Are all the buildings EXACTLY the same?

First and last thing; LISTEN and record/write down everything.

If you are among others that are also doing this walk through I suggest that you stay as close to the person as possible without being rude. If you are in the back, you will not hear.

Yes, always get a contract, then peruse it carefully before you sign it. contact an attorney if necessary.

Ask:

What exactly are we bidding on?

Just the "common areas", laundry areas and entries? Or, what in addition to these areas. For example, are you responsible for the spots on the carpets and walls? Will I be doing the carpet cleaning, stripping and refinishing any VCT? What about high dusting; ceilings, hanging lights, etc? Are you responsible for anything outside the doors; policing maybe a 10 foot area around each door, Shoveling any snow, or putting down any salt?

What exactly are we to do in the designated areas? Vacuum, trash removal, interior glass cleaning, are there any washrooms that we are responsible for? Where are the dumpsters outside?

I use this "Survey Form:" Getting all the information in one place.

PROSPECT NAME, LOCATION SITE, ADDRESS, DATE, PHONE NUMBERS, EMERGENCY NUMBERS, CONTACT NAME TITLE.

HOW MANY DAYS SERVICE?

WHICH DAYS?

HOW MANY FLOORS?

HOW MANY ENTRANCES?

TRAFFIC; LIGHT? MED? HEAVY?

REASON FOR BID? "May I ask why you are going out for bid?"
    This may tell you a lot.

DO YOU HAVE SPECIFICATIONS?

PRESENTLY, NAME OF PRESENT CLEANING COMPANY?

HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU HAVE CLEANING EACH LOCATION?

CARPET CLEANING? INCLUDED?
    VCT (hard floors) STRIPPING AND WAXING, INCLUDED?

TOTAL "CLEANABLE" SQUARE FOOTAGE; EACH BUILDING AND TOTAL?

BUDGET PRESENTLY? YEAR OR MONTH?

(Important) WHAT ARE YOUR 3 TOP AREAS OF CONCERN?

QUALITY CONTROL? Do I have to make an appointment to see you?

PERCENTAGE OF BUILDING THAT IS: CARPET? VCT? OTHER? (%)

DO YOU NEED A DAY PORTER? HOW MANY? WHICH DAYS PER WEEK?

WASHROOMS? If so; DO YOU PROVIDE CONSUMABLES; PAPER TOWELS, TOILET PAPER, SOAPS, ETC?

FACILITY CHARACTERISTICS:

NUMBER OF ENTRANCES?

LEVELS?

ELEVATORS?

NUMBER OF STAIRS?

OUR ACCESS?

SECURITY: TYPE? (KEY, CARD, COMBO?)

WILL LIGHTS BE LEFT ON AT NIGHT AFTER WE ARE FINISHED?
    YES?_____ NO?______ PLEASE INDICATE WHICH ONES?_____

BID DATE?__________

TIME?_______________

NUMBER OF OTHER BIDDERS?_____

COMMENTS?

Then, (very IMPORTANT!)

Ask them: "Is there anything that I may have forgotten to ask you that I should know?????????"
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 08:48 PM

Well Busy ladies... how did the walk through go today?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing a colour for the hallway [ 54 Answers ]

The bathroom, toilet and laundry are directly adjacent to each other and run off the hallway - the bedrooms are at the other end of the hallway. I've recently repainted the bathroom and toilet a water based gloss white and plan to paint the laundry in the same paint. I've painted the wooden...

Does a hallway require 2 cold air returns? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a bungalow style home. On the main floor, there is a hallway with 2 cold air returns located directly across from each other at floor level. I'm doing some renovations and I want to know if I can close one off or do I require both? Note - these are the only two cold air returns.

Matching the cut on chair rail from stairway to 90 deg. Hallway [ 3 Answers ]

I can not match the chair rail cut from the stair way which is approximatly at a 50 deg. Angle up the stair way to the top of hallway on an outside corner. The piece of chair rail that comes up from the stair way is wider after I cut it because of the angle that I have to have coming up the stairs...

Perplexing hallway leak [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a one-story ranch with the laundry hookups in the bathroom adjacent to the main hallway. On the opposite side of the hallway there is dampness in the carpet. This has been going on for some time and I'd like to have the carpet in the entire house replaced but not until I repair whatever...

Problem with Hallway Light Switches [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace my hall lights, from up and down toggles switches to the flat plate toggle. I have a switch at each end of the hallway. I purchased a Leviton switch that has 2 connectors and a green ground. The switches in my existing boxes have black, white, red and a ground. What do I need to...

View more questions Search