Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlsinsc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Perplexing hallway leak
    I live in a one-story ranch with the laundry hookups in the bathroom adjacent to the main hallway. On the opposite side of the hallway there is dampness in the carpet. This has been going on for some time and I'd like to have the carpet in the entire house replaced but not until I repair whatever is causing the dampness. I've had plumbers out to check for leaks and roofers to check for roof leaks but to no avail. A neighbor of mine said that it may have something to do with the icemaker (2 rooms away) or the washer somehow. Both the roofer and the plumber checked the crawl space and did not see any leaks. I also had the heatpump checked for condensation and that's not it either. Any suggestions on what else I can have checked?
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Aug 3, 2007, 02:46 PM
    The dampness is at the end of the main hallway, away from the laundry hook ups?

XenoSapien

Aug 3, 2007, 03:04 PM
    The bathroom with the washer is to the right and the floor with the dampness is on the wall to my left. The back of the washer is not on the hall side. It faces the inside wall of the bathroom.

Aug 3, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Please forgive me on this one, but allow me to play dumb. What is the closest water source to the dampness? The sink? The toilet?

XenoSapien

Aug 3, 2007, 03:13 PM
    The sink is the closest to the leak.

If you picture this... standing in the doorway to the bathroom, the sink to the left, the tub/shower straight ahead and the washer is beside the tub (facing me).

Aug 3, 2007, 03:26 PM
    And the plumbers couldn't find it? Sounds like it's in the wall somewhere, and something tells me it may have something to do with a supply line.

You said that "On the opposite side of the hallway there is dampness...". On the other side of the wall of where the dampness is, what is there? A bedroom, or the front/back of the house?

XenoSapien

Aug 3, 2007, 03:30 PM
    There are two bedrooms on the wall where the leak is.

Aug 3, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Ok. Then after the bedrooms, it's the front/back of the house (again I apologize; I'm one of those that has to be in the fire in order to put it out, but I'll offer the best I can). The water lines coming into the house--are they any where near those bedrooms?

XenoSapien

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Leak near bathtub but no leak behind tub found [ 5 Answers ]

I recently noticed water marks in the ceiling on the lower floor that is about 3-6 feet away from the tub above that floor. I had noticed similar leak several years ago, just painted it over and did not see any more water marks for several years. I cannot seem to find where it is coming from. I...

Faucet leak from middle hole - leak under cabinet [ 8 Answers ]

I hired plumber to install new faucet on my kitchen sink and bathroom basin. He did a good job with it, but while he was installing them he did not use silicon putty under the faucet gasket. I told him or remind him to do that but he still didn’t do it and told me you don’t need grout under new...

Engine Oil Leak/Antifreeze Leak--2001 Chrysler Town and Country [ 1 Answers ]

My 2001 T & C has 82K and what I am told, by a reputable source,but not a mechanic, is an engine oil leak. The leak seems to be toward the front and middle. I haven't noticed an oil smell, any smoke, etc... but we are also trapped in below zero weather in Nebraska. I was also told there is an...

Problem with Hallway Light Switches [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace my hall lights, from up and down toggles switches to the flat plate toggle. I have a switch at each end of the hallway. I purchased a Leviton switch that has 2 connectors and a green ground. The switches in my existing boxes have black, white, red and a ground. What do I need to...

View more questions Search