Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TobyWan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Bryant Upflow gas furnace begins to heat, shuts down, repeatedly
    I have had this condition for several years now and my repair/installer company has attended to it several times, charged me steeply and, while the condition may be temporarily improved, they have never fully solved the problem. Here is what happens:

My 1988 Bryant Day & Night furnace will come on, begin to heat up the chamber for maybe a minute, I hear some multiple & rapid clicks then shuts down. Sometimes a secondary noise occurs (fan I think) and shortly thereafter everything shuts down. The duration of this process may last from 30 seconds to perhaps a minute & a half.

Eventually the furnace will go through the entire sequence and the blower will come on and warm the house. I imagine there's quite a bit of gas wasted when it repeatedly fails to complete the cycle.

I notice this mostly in the early mornings when the thermostat is set to a low temperature setting.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you!

Toby
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Exact model number?

Brand and exact model of thermostat. Could be a heat anticipator problem.

Nov 11, 2008, 07:51 AM

The Bryant furnace model # is: 398AAW036080AFJA

The thermostat is a Honeywell with the numbers T87F 2873 3
    (below) 9502Name:  Honeywell thermostat.JPG
Views: 11789
Size:  151.0 KB

Nov 11, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Inside the thermostat just behind the outer cover of these types of thermostats you will see a heat anticipator. It looks something similar to one of these two:

These adjustments are the heat anticipator. They are for the length of the cycle of the heating, but sometimes there is one for the cooling. But almost always, the cooling anticipator is a fixed resistor on the subbase. It's a very critical measurement with special instruments for the professional. Don't worry, you can set a replacement thermostat heat anticipator just like the old one or you can make adjustments in very small increments as instructed here.
    1. HEAT CYCLE TOO LONG--Set adjustable heater to a slightly lower dial setting. (1/2 division)
    2. HEAT CYCLE TOO SHORT--Set adjustable heater to a slightly higher dial setting (1/2) division)
    3. YOUR thermostat should look like the picture on the left inside. Use the directions in number 2 since your heat cycle is to short causing a problem with your system. Move the lever just a little bit at a time to the longer side on the little dial till the unit works correctly. It may take a few furnace cycles to ballance so do not rush the job by moving the lever to fast. Move the lever and wait 15-30 minutes for the results.
    There is a professional way to do this adjustment but involves a meter which you do not have.

Nov 12, 2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks for your recommendation. I've not been home much recently but I've made one adjustment so far and will let you know if this works.

Nov 12, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Hope it works out for you.

Nov 18, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Thank you for your generosity in sharing your expertise.

Yes, my furnace now comes on as designed with no premature shut-down. This is so great!
    May I offer some form of compensation?

Nov 18, 2008, 12:06 PM
    As long as you are happy with the results that is all that counts. If you happen to find a charity that helps feed the homeless during the Thanks Giving season or Christmas and you feel like helping them out will a few $$ that would be all the compensation I could think of. Many of or less fortunate citizens will be forever grateful for your generosity. Have a happy holiday season.

Nov 19, 2008, 09:22 AM

Thank you Masked Man!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat Calling for Heat but Furnace Shuts Off [ 6 Answers ]

I have a gas forced-air furnace 3-5yrs old. Honeywell setback type thermostat (set to "HOLDTEMP") My problem is the furnace seems to shut off before it reaches set point (ussually 4-6 degrees below set point) I changed the thermostat and still the same issue. If I turn the power off to the...

No heat. Bryant 383k upflow gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

12 yr old Bryant 383k upflow gas furnace. When first starting blowers run through three cycles then furnace locks out. Tried reseting Darft Safegaurd tube switch and Manual Reset Limit switch. Replaced filter. Have other gas appliances that work fine.

Washer shuts off repeatedly. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a washer and dryer set we bought in 2003, when we moved into our new home. Everything was fine with the washer in the start, but now, when I put a load of laundry in, the washer quits, at least 3 times, always in the middle of the rinse cycle. I have to go and turn the knob slightly to get...

Bryant upflow furnace model394g lp [ 1 Answers ]

How do you adjust pilot light?

View more questions Search