Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juleslane2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Dripping hot water bath tap causing damage
    Hi all

Can anyone assist me,I have a dripping bath tap that has caused(I think)the underside of my bath floor to become wet,resulting in a water mark on my downstairs kitchen ceiling.Tried to remove the washer,but the nut inside the tap is on so tight I can't remove it with a wrench.
    The seal also looks damaged,I`ve left the water supply turned off as the drip has got worse since attempting to put the tap back,will this be OK and do I need to do anything special when I turn the supply back on (I have a combination boiler that supplies my central heating)
    I shall attempt to replace the seal as soon as I can, is there anything else I should be aware of regarding this matter

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 03:31 PM

A dripping bath tap will not cause floor damage since the drip would go right into the drain. Maybe you mean the leak is at the supply pipe. Usually if your floor is wet it's a drain problem. Could you give me so more info and details?

Nov 9, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly

The tap has been dripping for about a week and on closer inspection that's when I noticed the floorboards directly under the hot water tap was wet,water appears to be coming from somewhere underneath the tap? I`m thinking maybe a seal is damaged.After turning the water supply off for a couple of hours,it seems to have dried out somewhat and I`ve turned the supply back on and left pans underneath the leaky area,I don`t think the pipes are affected.

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 07:01 PM

Isn't your tap hanging out over the tub? Maybe a picture or sketch would help us see what you have.

Nov 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Sorry,didn`t explain that too well.Yes the tap is over the bath.I removed the bath panel to see what was going on underneath the supply pipe and there is water dripping from the top of this area and the floorboards are damp.Could be the seal or plastic connector.I still have the dripping tap that drips into the bath,of which I had trouble removing the nut to get at the washer... Any advice on loosening the nut?
    I`m going to the store later today,considering taking the tap with me,I`ll get back to you later today with a photo if I`m still struggling

Many Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor's kids causing damage and trespassing in my yard [ 11 Answers ]

For about the last year, my neighbor's kids and their friends have been playing in our yard, hitting our home over and over with their toys and causing damage to one of our trees, a young maple tree, by breaking off the branches. I didn't say much when it first started happening because I didn't...

Maple Tree Roots causing damage [ 1 Answers ]

There are two maple trees about 35 feet from the front of my house. Their roots spread all the way to the front of my house and are in my flower beds, stealing water and choking the flowers. The beds extend about 3 feet from the house. In addition the roots may be damaging and causing leaks in...

Dripping Sound in Ceiling when upstairs bath runs [ 4 Answers ]

We have been experiencing a drip whenever the upstairs bath or shower is used. The faucet in the tub has been replaced. The tile has been torn out around the faucet and the shower head and no leak is apparent. The drain has been replaced. Downstairs we have cut holes in the ceiling in two...

Generator causing appliance damage [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5500 watt generator and have a reliance switching system setup with 8 switches. When I hook up my generator to my house, it blows out ceiling fans, lights and bathroom fans. The lights are extremely bright. I am getting way too much power. This does not happen if I plug directly...

Humidity causing damage to drywall ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I live in NC and have been having a problem with the discoloration and some slight hairline cracking on the ceiling of our garage. During the summer it is extremely humid in the garage and I have noticed there are a couple of long thin strips on the celing that are slightly discolored...

View more questions Search