Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blyster1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Generator causing appliance damage
    Hello,

I have a 5500 watt generator and have a reliance switching system setup with 8 switches. When I hook up my generator to my house, it blows out ceiling fans, lights and bathroom fans. The lights are extremely bright. I am getting way too much power. This does not happen if I plug directly into the generator using the 110 plugs and extension cords. I had the engine checked and was found to be running just fine. This makes me believe it is the generator or the wiring to the house. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Mar 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
    My question would be do you have a method of measuring the voltage in your house when using the generator? And if so what was your result ? My theories would be bad control on the generator or possibly a bad or incomplete neutral connection in your swicth box. Perhaps TK can offer additional insight on this one.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Morrow hit the important parts. Sure sounds like a high voltage output issue or a loose neutral somewhere in the system. Really need to explain or show with pictures how this genset and transfer switch is wired to help further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking appliance valve [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a washing machine which only uses one inlet hose. The one that isn't been used now leaks even though I have turned it off. It is beginning to rot the kitchen cupboard and I fear it may rot the floor boards. Can anyone help?

Humidity causing damage to drywall ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I live in NC and have been having a problem with the discoloration and some slight hairline cracking on the ceiling of our garage. During the summer it is extremely humid in the garage and I have noticed there are a couple of long thin strips on the celing that are slightly discolored...

Kitchen appliance circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I know that 2 appliance circuits are required for the kitchen. Can these circuits also connect to other receptacles such as dining rooms and pantries? Thank you in advance

Kitchen Appliance Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have two 10-3 leads running from two double pole 35 amp breakers in a Wadsworth 200 amp panel. One supplies the cooktop the other supplies the oven. I am going to replace the two units with a new single unit. The new unit requires a 40 amp breaker which I plan to install in place of...

Kitchen Appliance Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have two 10-3 leads running from two double pole 35 amp breakers in a Wadsworth 200 amp panel. One supplies the cooktop the other supplies the oven. I am going to replace the two units with a new single unit. The new unit requires a 40 amp breaker which I plan to install in place of one...

View more questions Search