Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gailstobie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 04:35 AM
    Other states allowing licensing during dui suspension
    I heard that before my dui conviction I can go to another state (Oregon) and get a license there. Is this possible? I was told they don't check or something like that. I also heard Hawaii was this way also.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 05:19 AM

TheRecordsHub.com is the most comprehensive website I have seen and just knowing it exists makes me happy. Especially for people with DUI convictions wanting to get a new license after a conviction. You will notice, it includes information in any state, any province, any country.

I imagine you would be extremely suspicious walking into a DMV wanting a new license with out of state (or out of province) ID and I would hope an astute clerk would automatically access this database to see if you were on it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 06:56 AM

Well as long as you move, rent a new apartment and live in the new state it may happen.

The problem is you can't move back to where you live now, since after 30 days your "new" license would not be valid any longer.

The simple fact is that it is not legal, there are a few loop holes in a few states ( used to be anyway)

And if you get caught with it in your current state you will have additional criminal charges placed on you.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2008, 05:05 PM

More than likely while you are awaiting at the DMV for your "new" driver's license, your wait will be interrupted by the local police arresting you. This is totally illegal. You can't have a suspended license in one state and get another license in a different state. Sorry. No cigar on that one.
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
    At least in NJ, the DMV here asks if you have any other licenses and asks you to surrender your current license.

My boyfriend had a dwi in college in NY and had a Kansas license. He was supposed to have a suspended license for 6 months, and pay a fine - well he was overseas for a year abroad , so the suspension was fine, but he never paid the fee. He had no problem getting a jersey license a few years later.

I would say that since your not officially guilty until sentencing / fine is made, you could probably get away with getting a license in another state. This means you need a mailing address there though, and I wouldn't attempt driving in the state where you are convicted.

If you plan to move altogether, it might work, except getting insurance will probably be difficut with a DUI on your record. But you could probably drive someone else's car...

Ideally, you should probably get a laywer. I'm sure they might even offer you a free consultation, during which you mgiht be able to ask these questions. If your in CA, I know a Los Angeles license suspension lawyer called Robert Koenig - call him and ask.

Or get a lawyer and pay them - they can challenge the evidence, and 33% of the time the arresting office won't show up to testify against you. Also, for it to have been a legal arrest, there must be probable cause to have stopped you. They can't just pull you over for no reason (legally). You also have to have your miranda warning read to you if they ask you ANY questions - i.e. have you been drinking - that may incriminate you. You also get the choice of blood or breath test - and if they waited too long to give a breath test, that's ALSO grounds for it being thrown out.

If I were you, I'd get a lawyer and avoid the cost and hassle of working around the law. Local courts often know the lawyers and they're all buddy buddy - the do each other favors , which puts us without lawyers at a disadvantage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suspension from university [ 2 Answers ]

I have been suspended from the university twice for having a low grade point average. I will graduate in about a year or so. How will that effect me in getting into graduate school.

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

Suspension [ 8 Answers ]

I got a suspension in middle school.can this effect my future in college??

Licence suspension [ 3 Answers ]

If you are asked to hand in your licence for 5 months and it affects your ability to work or commut can you fight it? As I haved to quite my job and move into town.

View more questions Search