Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bngangel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Public Defender
    My Name is Angela. I have a Charlotte County Public Defender that doesn't believe me. I was a passenger in a car that was involved in a crash and the driver of the vehicle left the scene of the accident and I got arrested and charged with the driver's crime. Can I fire my current PD because I don't think there will be effort to clear my name due to the fact my PD thinks I am being untrutfull when I have told nothing but the truth. :(:(:(
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 08:41 AM

If you didn't do it... couldn't there have been more effort on their end to find the person that did committ the crime... like taking finger prints on the steering wheel?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Hello bn:

Sure you can fire him. Write him a letter telling him exactly WHY you're firing him. Send a copy to the judge and one to the prosecutor. Send your letters certified, return receipt requested.

When you get to court, they SHOULD appoint you a new lawyer. IF they don't, whenever you have a chance to speak, tell the court that you cannot continue WITHOUT legal assistance. Say NOTHING other than those words. You'll get a new lawyer.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 12:58 PM

And when you told the police the name and address of the person driving, they did not investigate

But a good defense attorney will fight for you if you are guilty, if you told them you were guility they would still try and get you off that is their job.

In the end if they found you at the scene in possession of the car, that is their evidence, so you will have to prove in court it was not you, can you bring the driver in as a witness
    bngangel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 01:17 PM
    I was not anywere near the car, I had gotten out of the passenger seat and tried to ask people standing around for help but no one would speak to me so that's when I call for a ride home. Waiting for my mom to arrive is when the police approched me and said witnesses saw me leaving the scene and that's when I told the police that the driver fled and the police told me how convient that the person I named as the driver was also the registered owner. The police tell me that they did investigate and witnesses put me behind the wheel when I fact I was the one that approached the crowd and asked for help. No one could have possible put me behind the wheel cause I wasn't driving...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does my son need a new public defender [ 1 Answers ]

My son was arrested for robbery 1st. He is innocent. A car was stolen by 2 of his friends, he was not there at the time the robbery occurred. His friends picked him up later and gave him a ride, he thought they borrowed the car and as soon as he found out it was stolen he got out and went home. The...

About a public defender [ 4 Answers ]

If you got rid of a public defender can you get another one?. PLEASE HELP time is running out... :confused:

More about public defender [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some clarification as to firing a public defender. Is a person permitted (2) appointments or just (1)? Are you on your own if you fire your public defender? I was told there is a clause in the statutes that says you are entitled to (2). Does it vary from state to state? I have asked...

Public Defender [ 5 Answers ]

How can a person who has been appointed a public defender change public defenders? My brother is in jail and awaiting trail. His public defender wants him to plead guilty because he doesn't want to do any work on the case. My brother wants to get another public defender to represent him, can he...

View more questions Search