Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boarderboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Theft Under $5000
    Probably the most idiotic decision I have ever made.

On Halloween a friend and I were shopping around our mall gathering items for our costumes, He was in Sears with a pair of suspenders and a scarf which we were going to use. When I came to meet him he handed me the items, and in a blank decision we both decided to just walk out. I may have had the impression that he had paid; nonetheless, we were shortly contacted by the store security who arrested me but just narrowly did not arrest my friend. He had seen my friend waiting and hand the 2 items off to me, but decided not to. I was very co operative and was let go on a distance release (no police were involved) and was told that I would receive mail from Sears regarding my court date and penalties. I know I am going to contact a lawyer immediately, but was wondering if anyone had any other advice to give? I am not this type of person, but I am 18 and just couldn't handle a criminal record in my life.

Thank you to anyone who may respond.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 08:08 PM

Well get your attorney, there is a first offender program so you will pay a fine, pay the store back for time and trouble, and be on probation, then afterwards the record sealed
    boarderboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 09:46 PM

Yes they said that was going to happen, but record sealed? Sorry, what does that mean? I will receive a criminal record?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:03 PM

If they agree with a program, after your probation then the record will not show up
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 3, 2008, 12:09 PM

First off, it all depends on what state your in.

Don't take a chance with a criminal record. It could mean that you can't get into college and any job you apply for will see it and likely not hire you. You could go to jail. you NEED an attorney - a good one can argue that you were with your friend and you thought he had paid for the items, and get you off the hook entirely. Better to spend that $$ on a lawyer than a fine.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2008, 12:23 PM

I'm assuming by the subject that you are in Canada. US law doesn't have such a charge, Browse through the forums. You will find dozens of people with the same experience as you. The threads will give you instructions on how to obtain a diversion and what that entails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 - under 18 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a 17 year old high school student living in Ontario Canada. Recently, I have found an unattended purse in the hallway and I took it and stole $5 and than threw the purse somewhere randomly in my school. My principle caught me on camera and I was suspended for 10 days, also because I...

Theft under 5000 [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently charged with theft under 5000 for a set of car plates this is my first offence what should I expect?

Theft under $5000 x 2 [ 14 Answers ]

Long story made very short. I worked for a person who claimed I stole Money and 5 pups I did not! Pups were given as payment for my work When I was questioned about money those pups were on my property yet no complaint had been made yet. Five days later he files a complaint about...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft Under $5000 - Age 15 [ 3 Answers ]

I have no idea if I have a criminal record or not. I was caught stealing and I recall the security guy saying I was being charged with Theft Under $5000.00 But I wasn't give a court date, no fingerprints taken, and it has been a week since the incident and I haven't gotten a call from the...

View more questions Search