Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cyn1244 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 06:54 AM
    My niece needs to be in school
    What measures am I able to take as a aunt. My niece is 6 years old and she has never been enroled in school and I want to know if there is anything I can do to place her in school.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Why has she not gone to school? Is she being home schooled?

If nothing is being done to provide formal education, then I would talk to her parents and advise them that its against the law to not register a child for school or provide a standardized education. Tell them, if they don't send her to school you will report them to the authorities.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 1, 2008, 12:02 PM

Scott is right, and I am sure they will be caught up with.
    As an aunt I think all you can do is to report the siuation.
    Like Scott I do wonder why she isn't in school.

Nov 3, 2008, 12:50 PM
    She is not in school because she is not her parents priority. They don't realize the severity of the matter. I have told them on several occasions that I will be contacting children services as well as taking any other measures that need be. I offered to have her live with me so that she is taken care of properly however that is not something they would be willing to do because of both parents pride.
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 3, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyn1244 View Post
    She is not in school because she is not her parents priority. They dont realize the severity of the matter. I have told them on several occasions that I will be contacting children services as well as taking any other measures that need be. I offered to have her live with me so that she is taken care of properly however that is not something they would be willing to do because of both parents pride.
    Cyn,

You can also file for legal custody. Not sending your kid to school is neglect - if you have the money, get a lawyer. If not, you can try to petition the court, and call child services. I think you're doing the right thing. you niece is lucky to have you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2008, 01:07 PM

No you can't file for legal custody, but you can file for legal guardianship. So report them to children's services and ask if you can foster the girl.

Nov 3, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Thanks so much!! I have money to go through a legal battle I have two children of my own I just want her to get the education she needs and if her parents can't realize what she needs I need to give them a little push in the right direction. I am planning on contacting child services I gave her father (my brother) until her birthday which is Nov.15 to have her enrolled in school and if not I will do any and everything I can to make sure she is.

Nov 3, 2008, 01:13 PM
    CORRECTION... I DON'T have the money for a legal battle. That's all I need is legal guardianship I just need to be able to make sure she is properly taken care of and to be able to make the right decisions as far as she's concerned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dear niece [ 1 Answers ]

I filed for custody of my niece and now my sister is willing to sign over her rights to me does the father have to as well and how do I do all this with out the lawyers??

19 month old niece. [ 8 Answers ]

My sister has a 19 month old daughter. The baby's father has bought about 6 packs of pampers,2 dresses and one toy for her. My sister is still dating the guy,but he wants out. He keeps threating her saying he will get custody of the baby since he makes more money.He is also Bipolar and refuses to...

Ny niece and nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My niece and nephew were taken away from their parents and arenow living with a foster family while the investigation continues. What rights do I have as the aunt? What do I do to get them out of the system and in my care? A friend told me about foster parent training; how do I go about starting...

Niece is ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a relationship with my niece we have been close for about 4 yrs or more , since I met my boyfriend and I have plans with him she gets so mad she sends me hateful ,mean text messages that are so upsetting I get depressed for a week or two at a time. She says that I don't care and she...

I want custody of my niece! [ 3 Answers ]

I need custody of my niece she is being neglected by her mother. Her mother is supporting her boyfriend that has no job and no car that is living off her and abusing both of them physcially. I need help getting her outa that household.

View more questions Search