Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tragiclovegunn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 09:19 AM
    My 2 year old GSD can't stop urinating on the floor
    I have a 2 year old pure bred German Shepherd named Dante.
    I trained him myself and up until he was about 2 months old he had grasped the concept of house training very well, being a German Shepherd he is quite intelligent.
    I had got him in the beginning of July and was home with him 24/7 until I started school in the September (my grade 12 year) he was 2 months old and started to protest because I wasn't with him all the time. I corrected the problem and he stopped. We got another dog, an older dog for him to play with and learn from when he was almost a year old, he didn't protest or seem to have a problem with him (his name is Atticus, he's a German ShepherdxCollie, and about 5 years old) they get along great together. But recently, within the past couple months he keeps peeing on the floor! I know it is Dante because he isn't fixed, so he cocks his leg, I've witnessed Atticus going to the bathroom and he squats (which is kind of weird for a male, but he's fixed). The urine is in 2 places, against a kitchen chair that is in our dining room and against our two couches. We have cleaned the area with bleach, with vingear(it's supposed to get rid of the smell so they don't continue to do it), we've moved the furniture, we can't think of anything else to do. It's driving us nuts because the whole house smells like urine all the time. I've taken him to the vet, there is nothing wrong with him, he is perfectly healthy there is no medical reason for it and on top of it all he'll wake me or my mother up to go outside several times through out the night and do his business and stay out there for hours at a time. It is driving me up the wall because yelling at him does nothing, it scares him and he ends up peeing in fear. I know he understands, he is very intelligent, extremely intelligent, I don't understand why he's doing it. Is there anything else I can do, or do I just need to continue to clean the area like crazy?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 04:17 PM

Don't yell at him. There's a great book out there called how to housebreak your dog in 7 days. It's short, sweet and to the point. It's also cheap. If you can't get it at your local bookstore, you can definitely find it on amazon.com. Other dog training books should also have a section in it that should help you.

I think you should consider house training your dog from square one to instill the good habits and break the old ones. If he's always peeing in the same places, you can divide his meals into various plates and put them where he's been peeing. Keep one in his usual place. Keep this up for a few weeks. As they say, a dog never pees where he eats... and vice versa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 Year old not Urinating [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old daughter who is fully potty trained. Everything has been going fine up until a few weeks ago she went to the hospital for dehydration from a stomach virus. Ever since she got back she has been drinking OK and keeping liquids down, but urinating less and less. Now she just...

How can I stop my 14month old jack russel X urinating when I am asleep? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a jack russel cross beagel , he is 14 months old. I have had him since he was 8 weeks and he was very easy to house train, he did have a destructive side when it came to my underwear and shoes and still does if he is left at home. I very rarely leave them unattended and I do have another...

How do I stop my cat from urinating on my furniture? [ 9 Answers ]

I scrolled through the asked questions or topics, couldn't find anything close to my question.:confused:

4 year old / accidents / protest urinating [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me some advice. About 2 months ago, we homed a 4 year old female dog which never pays any attention to us and seems to protest pee and sometimes poo. We want to love her so much, but it is so frustrating. She does it in the middle of the night, while we are at work, when we get the...

Male 4 year old urinating in house [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Male Pomeranian. He is not fixed. He has continually made mess in the house. I thought I had him trained, but after getting him a female companion, he has resumed his marking.. How can I correct this?

View more questions Search