Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captainhw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Subpanel installation and wiring
    I am constructing a wood working shop that is about 40 feet from my cabin in NC. The plan is to feed 240v 30amp from the main panel using 10/3 grounding outdoor wire. A subpanel will be installed in the shop with breakers for lights and outlets. The shop will contain a sander, grinder, drill press, lathe, small vacuum system, bandsaw and two fluorescent lights. Outlet wiring is planned to be 12/2 and lighting 14/2. the question is, is the plan sound and are there any suggestions for improvement?

The plan is to have the wire above ground with a post about half way between the shop and the house. How does that alter the response?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2006, 04:36 PM
    I would use #8 or even #6 copper wire for the 40 foot feeder to reduce voltage drop. This will help with the motors starting. Expect to get larger equipment later, and motors cannot tolerate much voltage drop.

Use a min of #10 green wire for the feeder equipment ground wire.

If you use UF or any kind of direct burial cable , the trench must be a minimum of 24" deep, and backfill must be without stones , rock , or debris.

Spend a bit more money on materials and use rigid conduit with THWN insulated wire, will only need to be min 6" to the top of the conduit, will save your back digging.

Now you can install a 60 amp feeder, ready for more or larger equipment. A 5 HP air compressor, a popular item in work shops, need a min of 28 running amps at 240 volt alone.

All 120 volt receptacles should be ground fault protected. You would not want to be working alone and get shocked by short in a machine.

Install a spare 1" conduit, for future telephone, data, etc.

Those are my suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

60 AMP Subpanel Help [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to install a 60 amp subpanel. I plan to have a 60amp breaker in my main panel fed to a main lug subpanel. Questions: Can I use 6/3 Romex NM - the distance is about 65 feet? Can I use a 100amp main lug sub panel even though the main breaker is 60amps? I need four spaces in the...

Hot Tub Installation [ 15 Answers ]

Hello again! I want to hook up an electric hot tub my friend just gave me. (how lucky am I? :)) I know that it needs a 50-amp GFCI-protected 240-V circuit. I have read info regarding to where to place the outdoor switch box, etc. But there's one thing I can't seem to find. Do I install a...

Large subpanel off a 200 amp main [ 9 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace an older subpanel in a barn 200' from the main 200 amp panel. I have many questions; How can I get a 200 amp rated panel out in the barn, what kind of tap/connection would I have to use coming off 200 amp main, what size conductor would I need, is this even allowed by NEC?

Adding subpanel [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 200A main panel in my garage and want to install a subpanel in my basement to feed 4 circuits (15 & 20 A). The best route I can find for the feeder wire is through the garage in conduit, then entering the basement through the concrete foundation. I have a couple of questions. 1. If I...

Adding subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm converting my garage to a woodshop, so I need 220 service for the table saw and band saw, and potentially later the dust collector and compressor. Also I want to run a new circuit for lights, plus two 110 outlet circuits. That's a possible four 220 and three new 110 circuits. I've got a...

View more questions Search