Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tally Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 05:03 PM
    60 AMP Subpanel Help
    I would like to install a 60 amp subpanel. I plan to have a 60amp breaker in my main panel fed to a main lug subpanel.

Questions:

Can I use 6/3 Romex NM - the distance is about 65 feet?
    Can I use a 100amp main lug sub panel even though the main breaker is 60amps? I need four spaces in the subpanel and I cannot find a 60 amp subpanel that has 4 spaces.

Thanks for your help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Yes #6/3 Copper cable is OK for a 60 amp feeder. And yes you can use a larger size amp rated panel and protect with a lower amp feeder, as long as your total load is no more than 48 amps, 80 % of the 60 amp feeder.

Be careful with the neutral and the ground at the sub panel. The neutral will connect to the isolated neutral bar, and the bare ground will connect to a ground bar that screws directly to the metal can of the panel. You will be given a green screw in the new panel, labeled main bonding jumper, discard this screw. Only in a main panel would you drive this screw through the neutral bar and connect to the panel back box.

GE and Square D , I believe make a 4 or 6 circuit panel rated 70 amp. Or you can use a "2" circuit panel, and use half size, or tandem , breakers.

Jan 30, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Ok thanks for your help? Why 80%? Wouldn't the breaker trip if it only exceeded 60amps? Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:54 PM
    80% is one derating factor required by the National Electric Code that applies to this installation.

Jan 30, 2006, 09:06 PM
    I think I might have answered my own question. Are you not referring to the 80% rule of the NEC? Doesn't this only apply to a continuous load which is at least 3hours in duration? Otherwise, wouldn't it be OK to go beyond the 48amps?
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 10:03 PM
    In addition to the one you mention, there are any other sections of the code that either require the 80 % or it is worded as 125% of the load, which means the same thing.
    electric343 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
    I have a 100amp panel in my home with few open slots. I want to add a new subpanel of 60 amps to carry a kitchen remodel. What size wire between the two panels? Any how to tips? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Large subpanel off a 200 amp main [ 9 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace an older subpanel in a barn 200' from the main 200 amp panel. I have many questions; How can I get a 200 amp rated panel out in the barn, what kind of tap/connection would I have to use coming off 200 amp main, what size conductor would I need, is this even allowed by NEC?

Subpanel installation and wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am constructing a wood working shop that is about 40 feet from my cabin in NC. The plan is to feed 240v 30amp from the main panel using 10/3 grounding outdoor wire. A subpanel will be installed in the shop with breakers for lights and outlets. The shop will contain a sander, grinder, drill...

Adding subpanel [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 200A main panel in my garage and want to install a subpanel in my basement to feed 4 circuits (15 & 20 A). The best route I can find for the feeder wire is through the garage in conduit, then entering the basement through the concrete foundation. I have a couple of questions. 1. If I...

Adding subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm converting my garage to a woodshop, so I need 220 service for the table saw and band saw, and potentially later the dust collector and compressor. Also I want to run a new circuit for lights, plus two 110 outlet circuits. That's a possible four 220 and three new 110 circuits. I've got a...

View more questions Search