Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joedad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Attaching new PVC Shower drain to existing 2" Cast Iron pipe in poured slab.
    Background:
    1. Demo'd old (1962?) master bath shower (5'x3.5') down to the slab/studs.
    2. Tried to get old cast iron shower trap out, but 2" drain line was so brittle that it broke off where it was inside the cast iron shower drain(see pic 2), which looks like it was leaded onto the 2".

So. I have a 2" cast iron pipe, a little jagged about 2" below the top of the poured slab. (see pic1)

I need to stick my PVC shower drain onto it.

My options:
    1. If I clean up the jagged end of the 2" cast iron drain line, I can set the PVC shower drain onto it, but it will need some adhesive (I can already tell from other threads that you aren't gonna like this.

2. Glue a 2" pvc stub to the pvc shower drain, and use a no-hub 2"-2" rubber connector. But, I will need to/like to cut the 2" cast iron off about 4" below the foundation, which means making a hole big enough to get to get an angle grinder (or some other suggestion) into the hole to cut the cast iron, and also get a wrench or screwdriver and my hands on the strap clamps on the no-hub connector.

2.(b) If I have to dig out a bunch of concrete to get the new drain on, then what do you think about me digging out the entire 5'x3.5' section, and putting in a true zero threshold shower??

The trap:
    I was thinking if I have to dig up concrete, then I may as well put in a new clean trap. I couldn't see down the 2" cast iron drain, so I started digging out the hair/soap/whatever chunks from the inside using a screwdriver and sucking it out with my shop-vac. The trap is about 2.5 FEET down... so I'm NOT going to replace the trap. I just kept digging and sucking until it was pretty clean and dragged the garden hose in through the window and sprayed in down the drain.

Thanks,
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the visual. It is always big help...

You can do this:

1. Get 2" No-Hub Coupling
    2. Insert it over the existing 2" C.I. pipe
    3. Cut 12" PVC ( or ABS ) pipe
    4. Attach this 2" PVC / ABS nipple to the coupling
    5. Take 2" Cast Iron "Instant Set" shower drain ( new one )
    6. Separate the drain into the bottom shell and top shell
    7. Slip bottom shell over this 12" PVC / ABS nipple until at the top of the concrete slab
    8. Tighten 3 s.s. drain bolts ( part of the drain )
    9. Take hack-saw and cut off rest of the upward sticking PVC / ABS nipple, flash with the drain
    10. Now, it is ready for hot mop. Hot moper will install the upper shell for you in hot asphalt

You may have to cut of piece of the existing C.I. pipe so you have more space for the coupling and bottom of the drain. In case you don't have so much space - than purchase ABS shower drain at Home Depot. Its bottom part is much shallower than the C.I. drain. You simply glue the 2" nipple to it and proceed with hot mop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stumped on hooking up shower pan to 4" cast-iron-in-concrete floor drain? [ 7 Answers ]

I ripped out the shower pan because water got under it and rotted some shims. This happened because the shower's 2" drain fitting was just loosely dumping the water into the 4" drain. I need to hook a shower pan to what looks like just a 4" cast iron floor drain. There is no flange or bell. I...

Attaching new 2" drain pipe to existing 3" soil stack - PVC [ 4 Answers ]

All, I am installing an additional sink on the main level of my home. On the lower level, below, there is a main 3" soil stack. I am thinking to use a 3"x2" Y connector to tie 2" drain pipe into this main soil stack. The sink will be vented using AAV (island) Questions: 1. Is there any...

Shower drain connection with cast iron pipe [ 7 Answers ]

We have a cast iron shower drain pipe in a concrete floor. It is a shower on a slab. We are building a shower pan with tiles or pebbles as a finish. We have purchased drain but it is not working - it is for premade shower enclosures. We need some kind of adapter to connect cast iron pipe with PVC...

Join pvc drain into middle of existing cast iron [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am planning to move the sink in my bathroom. I've already figure out (it's pretty easy) where to put the copper pipes with hot cold water. Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to do the dranage. There's a cast iron pipe about 4' in diameter, that runs from...

View more questions Search