Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewarch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Shower drain connection with cast iron pipe
    We have a cast iron shower drain pipe in a concrete floor. It is a shower on a slab. We are building a shower pan with tiles or pebbles as a finish. We have purchased drain but it is not working - it is for premade shower enclosures. We need some kind of adapter to connect cast iron pipe with PVC drain or there is a special drain for tile base showers?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarch
    We have a cast iron shower drain pipe in a concrete floor. It is a shower on a slab. We are building a shower pan with tiles or pebbles as a finish. We have purchased drain but it is not working - it is for premade shower enclosures. We need some kind of adapter to connect cast iron pipe with PVC drain or there is a special drain for tile base showers?
    You do realiuze that you will have to form a shower pan and install a flange type shower drain,(see image) don't you? This is after you take up the floor and remove the old cast iron shower drain and convert to PVC, since there is no fitting to convert to PVC from your old drain. A much simpler way would be to keep the old shower drain and just tile down to it. To make the job look more spiffy you can replace the old strainer with a shiny new chrome snap-in shower strainer. Good luck, Tom

Sep 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Thank you Tom.
    May be I give you more details about our situation.Originally we had an old, damaged fiberglass shower base with a lead seal at the drain when we purchased the house. We have removed pan and an old drain leaving cast iron pipe. The top of the pipe is aligning with the level of the slab. It is not threaded. Now with a new custom pebbles on a mortar base we could not purchase any drain fit our condition. I have found on line cast iron shower drain by Zurn model FD-2251 but it is for threaded pipe. What are your thoughts about threading the existing cast iron pipe to accommodate that condition?
    Any other suggestions. What kind of drain is installed in showers on a slab when used cast iron pipe in general?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Click on; Caulk on shower drain - Google Product Search To see a collection of No-Caulk shower drains,(see image) that will fit your 2" cast iron raiser. Good luck, Tom
    mks4443 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Where Can I Get A Custom Size Shower Pan
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mks4443
    Where Can I Get A Custom Size Shower Pan
    By "custom size" do you mean a shower pan built to your specifactions or a selection of shower bases?
    Regards, Tom

Oct 2, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Tom,
    Thank you for different products suggestions. I was reviewing them and I think they are for premade bases and we are going to have custom pan ( which we are doing ourselves). Is there any product to fit custom base ( for example tile finish pan or in our situation pebbles) and work with 2" cast iron riser?
    miketru Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 10:03 AM
    How do I get my shower drain ready for tile . Its old metal and pvc drain in the slab?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing cast iron drain pipe? [ 6 Answers ]

Put in a dishwasher and was working on the drain when I noticed the 2" cast iron drain pipe wasnt in very good shape. I spliced it with a sawzall ans the put pvc in and tried to use a boot on each end but it still leaks. Then from the cutting another joint in it started to leak. Ive decided its...

Crooked cast iron drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower unit in the basement which began leaking when I started using it last year. I tried replacing the drain but that only stopped the leaking for a few weeks. It leaks steadily when in use, under the shower base, under the studs and into the laundry room. The entire shower unit was...

Washing machine drain pipe overflows -- cast iron? [ 1 Answers ]

Our washing machine drain overflows each time the machine drains -- I have snaked, used a pressure cuff with the garden hose, and tried Drano. The drain pipe is cast iron from the 1950s -- I'm wondering whether it has just corroded inside to the point that the internal diameter is partially...

PVC or Cast Iron Drain Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My Drain Pipe outside the house has been damaged severely by tree roots. Will it be better to replace it wit PVC or Cast Iron? What are the advantages and Disadvantages of using Cast Iron?

Cast iron drain connection [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new...

View more questions Search