Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bergs4 Posts: 107, Reputation: 3

Oct 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Change 250V Outlet to 240V
    Hello,

I recently purchased a house built in 1948. When I attempted to install my dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. Also, the fuse block that the previous owner had designated "dryer" contains 2 non-60 bussman cartridge fuses. So, I have two qustions:

1) Can I simply install a 240v outlet where the 250v used to be?

2) It seems like two 60 amp cartridge fuses are a LOT for a dryer. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thank you.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Oct 21, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bergs4 View Post
    <snip>... dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. Also, the fuse block that the previous owner had designated "dryer" contains 2 non-60 bussman cartridge fuses. So, I have two qustions:

1) Can I simply install a 240v outlet where the 250v used to be?
    That is a 240 volt outlet. Some of them had that 250 volt marking on the face, but it's for 240 volt. The question is what amperage. It could be a 50 amp stove receptacle. You need a 30 amp receptacle that matches your dryer plug. If you need a 4 prong receptacle, that will require new wiring.

2) It seems like two 60 amp cartridge fuses are a LOT for a dryer. Am I correct in this assumption?
    Yes, that is TOO high for a dryer, 30 amps is what is required. You can put smaller buss fuses in that box if you want. They make adapters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I have a 120V and a 240V outlet on the same circuit? [ 13 Answers ]

I am installing a 4 wire 50 amp plug in the laundry room but I am also plumbing a gas line. If I end up with a gas dryer I'll need a 120V plug. Is it permissible by national code to install a 20A 120V plug off the 50 240V breaker. Since it's an A or B use case it seems safe but is it code...

How do I change out old outlet to GFI outlet for FHA [ 1 Answers ]

I just had an FHA appraisal and I need to put a GFI outlet in my bathroom however, The outlet in my older home bathroom in connected to the light (Its one of those cabinet units with cabnet, light and outlet inside) one unit. How do I change this your move date is 10/27/08 and they just called me....

240v Outlet Installation [ 3 Answers ]

I just added a sub panel for my workshop using a 50amp breaker at the main panel connecting to the sub panel via 6-3 cable. The 120 v single pole 20amp breaker / circuit works fine however I'm having trouble with the 240v side of the deal... I have a dble pole 30 amp breaker with a 10-3 cable...

240v heat & 120 outlet on same line? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I have a 240v convection heater with no 120v features (fan, timer etc). I have a dedicated run of 12/3 wg available. Is there any way to use that spare 3rd wire to provide a couple 120 v outlets? Thanks, Taylorsk

Change a 120 to a 240 outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Please help.. in my gerage all I have are 3 or 4 outlets all normal 120 household outlets, I'm going to start welding at my house to keep up with work and my welder needs a 240 outlet. I have a late 80's early 90's fuse box and not 1 240 outlet in the entire house, how can I myself install a 240...

View more questions Search