Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniella4087 Posts: 55, Reputation: 0

Oct 20, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Contact lens
    Hi a friend of mine wears contacts.. but he puts 2 in his eyes... because he has bad eye sight and he wants to wear color contacts but color is only available in certain prescriptions... so what he does is put the color contacts over his clear ones... he said it doesn't hurt his eyes and it feel the same as if he just had one in... but can this hurt his eyes... like can it make him go blind one day??
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 05:16 AM

I have only found one instance where 'piggybacking' is implemented and it is as follows, but these are obviously custom fitted for that purpose. He may not feel it 'hurts' his eyes physically, but could be doing some damage that is not apparent to him.

Contact Lenses for Keratoconus

A practitioner who is familiar with hard-to-fit cases is likely to fit a keratoconic patient with an GP (gas permeable, also known as RGP or rigid gas permeable) contact lens. Unlike a soft lens, it retains its shape on the cornea. However, when the cornea is so irregular it needs cushioning, a piggyback technique may be best. Piggybacking means you wear two lenses on each eye. A soft lens drapes over the cornea and a GP rests on top.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 02:04 PM

I've only heard of piggybacking done with a RGP (rigid gas permeable) lens and a and a soft lens. This is a horrible idea. Not only can this effect his eyes in a negative way, but he is ruining both lens by doing so. Sometimes if you have an astigmatism you have to sacrifice the colored lenses. I just had to do this myself. You need to convey to him how serious this is, and he needs to grow up and take his health into consideration far above his desire to change his eye color.
    daniella4087 Posts: 55, Reputation: 0

Oct 21, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I've only heard of piggybacking done with a RGP (rigid gas permeable) lens and a and a soft lens. This is a horrible idea. Not only can this effect his eyes in a negative way, but he is ruining both lens by doing so. Sometimes if you have an astigmatism you have to sacrifice the colored lenses. I just had to do this myself. You need to convey to him how serious this is, and he needs to grow up and take his health into consideration far above his desire to change his eye color.

Oh OK I will def let him know that... I told him he can go blind... to scare him... but can he really go blind... or he is just ruining his soft contact lenses...
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 11:57 PM

I don't know if this will make him go blind, but it's a good way to get infections..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best lens [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: what is the best size lens I could use for landscapes and wildlife and what make :confused:

What does MMd on a sigma lens mean [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has a Nikon d40x and a man is trying to sell him a Sigma 70-300MM lens, the man states that it says 70-300mmd on the lens itself, what does MMD mean? Please help I forot to tell you the man has a nikon D1

Can I sue contact lens company? [ 6 Answers ]

I was driving home around 11pm and my car was freezing cold. I turned the ehat on full to warm my car and keep it warm for the 15 min drive back to my house, about half way home the heater of my car dryed my contacts out in a matter of seconds causing my attentiuon to be taken off the raod because...

Lens power [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, earlier I had a reading glasses which was +1 that was when I was 42 years. Now after 2 years doctor is suggesting +1.50. Does it mean my vision getting dimmer?

View more questions Search