Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    subho123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Computer hardware
    When I boot my PC, a shrill sound continues from CPU. This sound continues and go up and down in a cyclic order. What is the reason ? What remedial measures can be initiated if this sound is indicative of any malfunctioning.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2008, 06:03 PM

It is hard to say for sure, but it is possible that it is a fan making that noise.

If you want to diagnose this, and are not afraid of being inside your computer, you can TEMPORARILY prevent the fans from running by unplugging them from the motherboard or sticking something between the blades (do this with the computer off). Do this one fan at a time, and only for as short a time as it takes to see if that stops the noise.

There may be several fans:
    • Case Fan
      This will be the easiest to find and debug. It should be on the back of the case somewhere.
    • Power Supply Fan
      This will be INSIDE the power supply box, and thus hard to get to. Do this one last, as you'll probably have to stick something (PLASTIC) through the vent holes to keep the fan from turning. Use something plastic, but strong, really.
    • Processor Fan
      This will be a small fan mounted on the motherboard, with hopefully a small connector nearby.
    • Video Card Fan
      If you have a fancy video card, there might be a fan on it. It will be on an option card, and similar to the processor fan.

Remember, only keep a fan stopped for the smallest amount of time it takes to determine if this was the source of the noise. Then reconnect it and go to the next fan--powering off in between each test. Be careful! I don't want to fry your computer, but my advice comes with no warranty.

Once you know which fan it is, you can Google around to find a source. CompUSA used to be a good place to get these, but they don't have brick & mortar stores any longer.

Good Luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardware detected but doesn't show up in my computer [ 3 Answers ]

My external hard-drive was working fine until I accidentally dropped it onto the ground. However after dropping it, I turned it on and it booted up fine, no weird noises etc. So I was somewhat hopeful that perhaps no damage had been done until I plugged it into my computer. It pops up in the...

Computer hangs after recognizing hardware [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home built computer that has been running perfectly for about 5 yrs. It has an MSI (K7T266 pro2), one gig of RAM, 1.6 AMD Athlon chip running win xp pro. As of this morning the machine boots to the point of recognizing the hardware and whether its working etc, at this point it hangs and...

Computer hardware [ 1 Answers ]

How can I unlock the keyboard of my laptop

Hardware help [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what kind of a motherboard I have in a system that was given to me. I can not find any markings on it so I think that it is a generic board. I think I remember a program that you can run that will give you all the info about your system. Is there anyone out there that knows...

View more questions Search