Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    voltage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
    No power from power supply
    I can't work my laptop with my psu,I have tested it and it is giving out the right power,but my laptop will work on just battry power.I have tried to look for any obvious burns/blown components but can't see nothing,I know it must be a fuse or something,but don't know were or how to find it.can anyone tell me what I am looking for,I can get usage ov a test meter if that will help.
    I have already tried to find any thing around the dc jack area the don't give any continuity,but all seem to be fine.can anyone give me some pointers on how to find this blown fuse or resistor.
    Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2008, 05:46 PM

The adapter probably isn't. Voltage is OK when unloaded, but loaded it dies probably because the cord is compromised and is holding on by one strand. It normally breaks either near the plug that goes into the laptop or where it exits the brick.

You have to test the PSU under load. I'd use two 12 V light bulbs like a brake lamp wired in series and measure the voltage at the adapter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC Power Supply [ 3 Answers ]

My computer light around the start button is flashing and the machine will not boot. I tried unplugging it and the light still blinked for a while, eventually going off. When I plugged the computer back in, the light started flashing again. The green light at the back of the computer blinks in...

Power supply [ 4 Answers ]

I had a power failure yester afternoon at my home. When I went home to check the computer, the light on the front was blinking and system would not power up. The computer was completely off yesterday. Could the problem be the power supply? Sal

Power supply [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know how to power up a Automation Direct power supply (STP-PWR-3204). Currently, I have connected the 120V AC pins G,N,L to various connections to a 10-circuit terminal block which in turn in wired to other components such as stepper drivers, etc. But to power up everything, I...

256 Mb video and Power supply [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to put in a nVidia 256mb PCI card in a 5 year old HP. There is a 64mb card in there now. Any harm on letting the old power supply power the new card? If it does die then I will put in a newer 300 watt one. Thanks Jim

Power supply [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a new mother board and I wanted to put my graphics card back in, but I'm worried that the power supply doesn't have enough power. I was going to try it, but I didn't want to if it might do some damage to my comp. Does anyone know if I try it and it doesn't work, will it possibly damage...

View more questions Search