Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beverlybyron Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Do I have water behind tiles in shower?
    My daughter says she suspects I have water behind tiles in the shower. Toward the bottom there are a few tiles that are proturding out further, but they seem to be or rather they are not loose by any means. Is there a way to be sure how to tell if there is water behind the tiles in the shower, or would I have to take those tiles off?

I am sorry I don't know how to explain it any different.

\bevl
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 10, 2008, 09:23 AM

You should check the grout lines, corners and the top and bottom of the tile for any cracks that water could be getting into. If there are cracks water may have made it's way behind the tiles. Let us know what you find and post a picture if possible.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 07:34 PM

I take it that you mean that the bottom row of tiles is at a slight angle, where as the ones above it is flat. That does not necessary mean that you have water behind the tiles. If the tiles are firm, do not move and the grout is in good shape it means that most likely the wallboard was put up behind the lip of the tub and then the tub was push up against the wallboard. The bottom tiles then must be at an angle because of the lip of the tub makes them stick out at the bottom. Proper installation of a tub is to put the lip of the tub against the studs and fasten to the studs. The wallboard is then installed over the lip of the tub, giving a flat surface for the tiles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing tiles shower pan [ 4 Answers ]

I want to build a custom sized shower using tiles for the pan. I do not knowthe procedure but assume there has to be some type of waterproofing membrane beneath the tile. Any help appreciated. Jshafran

Shower tiles [ 1 Answers ]

What are some of the most water resistant tiles to use in a shower?

Shower tiles on the loose [ 21 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me if there is any type of waterproof paint that would be good on a shower wall.my shower walls were completely tiled until Friday and then disaster struck ,I heard a loud cracking noise and when I checked one wall of tiles had bent and moved away from the wall.irevoved them and...

Shower Tiles [ 1 Answers ]

All of our showers are fiberglass,one piece designs. I want to tile them without removing them. Is this possible? If so, what all is needed to do this?

Shower Tiles [ 3 Answers ]

The shower tiles in the shower stall have mildew. Also one of the wall with tiles below the glass shower wall is buckling. The tiles right in front of the shower (once you step out) has mildew and moves a little. Could anyone suggest how I can correct these without breaking my bank. Thanks.

View more questions Search