Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugahplm Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Outside unit/compresser silver thingys
    hi
    I'm not sure what to call them but my 5 yr old compresser outside has those little silver slat like things covering about 1/2 of the outside of the compressor housing? From what I understand they regulate the temperature of the coils maybe?

didn't even know this could happen but this is what I was told so just wondering if correct "diagnosis" and should I worry about it especially if I sell this house one day?

one day I went out after about a year after installation, and to my horror there was a 2" x 2" approx. space where those little silver things were totally gone off the lower corner of the compressor. The area surrounding this was also discolored, a duller gray I guess you would say. I called a ad comp. in our town and the guy said the only time he had ever seen this is with dog urine. Our family had a dog that would urinate on anything stationary.. male of course, at that time. Is this possible... urine could cause this.

I have tried to keep that area protected as much as possible over the years so wind, rain other male dogs cannot get to it. Even though my efforts were successful, the little pieces/the area seems to be getting a little bigger with time.

the guy at the a/c comp. said if it stays small it shouldn't compromise the unit/coils/cooling and my a/c is very cold!

what to do? Any remedies? They guy said not to worry about it but that was yrs ago and as I said it seems to be another inch 3 x 3 or so now.

thanks for any help! :(
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Oct 9, 2008, 03:55 PM

Well for starters the 'silver thingys' as you put it are the aluminum fins of your condensing coil and yes dog urine will eat away at them. If a section is missing then your best bet is to replace the entire unit. A 3" X 3" missing section may not sound all that bad but it does diminish your cooling capacity and those fins will most likely continue to deteriorate.

Oct 9, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Thanks

Now make that check out to... :eek:

Can't do that now lottery ticket hasn't paid off yet, but thinking of gettting hubby to build a structure to protect the area as much as possible around outside and particularly an additional but attractive barrier for that area.

Oct 9, 2008, 04:52 PM

As far as building a structure around your condensing unit, I would advise against that. Anything that might block air flow will cause your condensing unit to overheat and go off on internal overload due to high head pressure.

Oct 9, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Yes I understand was thinking of something open but protective like the lattice work or something and not too close how does that sound? Where air can circulate it is shaded most of the day too I just need to keep the wind and rain off it directly any ideas? There is NO way I can afford a new unit now or probably ever at this point

Oct 9, 2008, 04:58 PM

Keep in mind that I can only offer suggestions. If you choose to build a structure then yes lattice would be preferable. Speaking as and HVAC technician I can say that it is VERY annoying from a service stand point.

Oct 9, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Yes I understand that too and it will be easily removable... like I said my husband is a contractor and can do just about anything unfortunately not a lot, but some of hvac and we had a business for a while so I think of all possibilties from the customers side which we still are, and the other/repair side too. The structure would be removed before a technician came out as I would not trust someone to remove or want to pay for the extra time for him to remove it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pleasy let me know how the capacity of a Air Handling unit or a Packaged unit is dete [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know what factors should be measured to assertain the capacity of a AHU or a Packaged unit. What does it mean by on coil temperature and off coil temperature ?

Inside fans runs but outside compresser doesn't turn on. [ 3 Answers ]

Our outside compresser doesn't turn on when we turn on AC, but the inside unit does work but warmer air blows out. The thermostat temp doesn't adjust either. It always says 80. Should the compresser need service or does the thermostat need replacing? Want should we do? Now we did have the outside...

AC fan not working Compresser Runs Fin [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my A/C was not blowing - checked the compressor was running. Opened the control box and turned the power back on and pushed the blower compartment safety switch. A green led on the control board lights and I hear a relay click, but the fan does not start. I turned the system to heat...

Air condition compresser lra [ 1 Answers ]

How to find hp by lra in compresser?

Size of ac unit needed to match a carrrier heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

I had a Carrier natural gas heating unit installed in 2003. Model number 58STA/STX 070 Catalog number 535-80105. My ac unit has gone out and the company I bought the heating unit from has gone out of business. What size ac unit will match the heating unit? Thanks so much!:cool:

View more questions Search