Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luis Molina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 04:03 PM
    My 3 year old daughter doesn"t speak
    I have a three year old girl and she still doenst speak, she repeats everything she hears on TV and sings a lot of songs . She could also count from 1-20 and the abc "S . but she never says mommy or daddy when she wants something. she would bring me to the kitchen when she wants something to drink. today she wanted water and she brought the glass to me give her some water , but she would not ask for some water . i would never know when she wants some water.
    she does know somethings like bye bye take off your shoes , close the door and lets go. whenever i drive by the local park and not stop at the park she would start crying , so she knows the way to the park. its like if she doesnt understand me sometimes.she sleeps normally and eats perfectly, plays with other kids but doesnt interact really well with them. when we call her name she sometimes looks at me .when she is doing something that she is not suppose to and i call her name then she will look inmmediately. i am very worried about the whole situation . for example she is watching TV and she would say "OK now its time for blues clues ",and if she is capable of saying that how come she can't communicate with me?
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Sep 28, 2008, 04:41 PM
    How much exposure to T.V. is she getting? She sounds very intelligent by the way... maybe try to give her craft time, reading time and play time. Designate your schedule so your getting more interaction with her and talk to her all the time. I do with my almost 2 year old and boy does she respond now and she will talk back even though I don't understand a word she says :). I don't talk to her like she was a child either... I talk to her in the same tone as to an adult and treat her as if she knew what I am saying. She knows a lot more then she is saying! Another thing I find that helps is going to mommy and tots classes, its fun for both of you and your spending time together, getting out of the house and she's learning. I tickle my daughters back all the time too... touch is very powerful tool... showing compassion and love. I also have pictures of EVERYONE and often take her to them and ask her who is who... if she does not answer then I tell her and since they learn the best from repetition eventually she/he will remember. Not to say your not spending time and all... you sound like an awesome mom! Need an expert here to give you a proper assessment but that is just personal experience stuff.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 06:07 PM
    She doesn't speak because you don't give her a reason to speak. If she wants water, you give it to her rather than making her say "water."

She has effectively manipulated you so that she does not have to say a word to get what she wants.

If she wants something, make her say it or she doesn't get it. For instance if she wants juice, ask her if she wants juice, if she nods her head, tell her to "say juice."

As a mother of 4 I had this same problem with my youngest who is now 6. Once we stopped giving him what he wanted without saying what he wanted, he started to talk a blue streak. Can't get the boy to be quiet now. LOL
    canuckdude Posts: 14, Reputation: 5

Oct 7, 2008, 09:41 AM

Try teaching her some sign language.
    And Einstien didn't speak until he was almost 5. Maybe she's just a genius. :)
    Grozzie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 05:17 AM
    Hi, I've just found this question on the internet and I realise it was posted in 2008 but, my 3 year old daughter is EXCATLY the same as this and I would love to know, three years later, what happened about your daughter's language skills? I too am worried about my daughter who seems pretty normal oin every other respect except her language is delayed.
    Hope you get this message!
    dadicarlos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Hi, my boy is 2.6 old and has the same issue, he sings well, can repeat any word you want him to repeat (after trying hard though). He won't come if you ask him to come unless he has a reason to do so but would take you to the fridge to get water when he he is thirsty. He did not pass the hearing test on one ear so we will be doing an ABR test to see. I thougt this was due to his hearing issues. Any toughts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult Daughter Won't Speak to me. [ 41 Answers ]

She's 43 and has not liked being around me for years. She seems to be jelous of me being happy. She likes it when I'm completely helpless, like after surgery she took me into her home. She's married has 4 children and lives an afluent life style. My husband and I visit three times a year. They live...

Adult Daughter Refusing to Speak to her Mother [ 9 Answers ]

My 24 year old daughter has not spoken to me since June 2007. This is due to her current boyfriend, that I told him to move out of the home that we all were sharing. Of course my daughter left with him. She has not spoken to me since this. She is my only daughter and we were always close and had...

My daughter won't even speak to me [ 1 Answers ]

Let me start by summarizing the situation. I left my husband of 23 years for my sisters ex boyfriend with whom she has 2 children. They have been seperated for 6 years. We are now married (btw, he had never been married before). Anyway we went through a lot of family turmoil over that but had...

My Daughter won't speak to me [ 3 Answers ]

My Daughter is 33 years old and as of recent she will not answer her phone, will not return emails I have sent and just yesterday I drove 30 miles to her house and her car was in the driveway but she would not answer her door. She has not talked to me in weeks and we have always been very close...

Text Message "Speak" [ 24 Answers ]

Is it me or does anyone else have problems reading posts from others who type into their computers as if they were text messaging? I have been "trained" to use correct english and be as correct as possible when typing so that I am completely understood. To me, "text speak" can be hard to...

View more questions Search