Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Julia_T Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 03:36 AM
    He doesn't want a relationship?
    Hi guys I need an honest opinion on what I should do..

Me and my boyfriend (well ex now) were together for about 6 months, overall everything was going really well apart from a few minor arguments.. We are both in our mid twenties.

So last week out of the blue he says that he doesn't think it has been working.. says this always happens to him in relationships, that he's afraid of commitment and wants to be single.Says he's probably going to regret it. I assumed there was someone else but he seems genuine when he says that there's not.

I don't think that I am in love with him but I do care for him and there is a very strong physical attraction between us. So now he says he still wants to talk/hangout as normal (and also sleep together). I told him that I wouldn't sleep with him if he was planning on being with another girl and he said that he was definitely not. Basically everything will be the same as it was but we just won't have the title of bf/gf?

I'm not really sure what to do now? Should I keep hanging out with him? I do still want to be together so maybe by doing this I'm selling myself short and he'll never realise that he made a mistake.. But we get on so well and I really like spending time with him so maybe if we keep hanging out he'll realise that this whole break up thing was silly? Honestly we had the best night a few days ago (after we broke up) talked for hours/laughing etc

I just don't understand why he wants to do this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 05:38 AM

But we get on so well and I really like spending time with him so maybe if we keep hanging out he'll realize that this whole break up thing was silly?
    Acting like his girlfriend hoping he will take you back will not work at all, especially if he has sex available to him.

I just don't understand why he wants to do this?
    Honestly guys do this to be single and free, and have a few benefits on the side. I know he seems cool, and you like him, but for your own good in the long run you must figure that since he cannot sustain a relationship with you, then you need to get over him, and be open to other options.

Why should you give him the benefits of being with you, without him having to earning them??
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 06:04 AM

He wants to do this because he's old enough to know that most likely he would feel more strongly about you than he does if it were a permanent kind of thing... he doesn't feel that strongly so wants to start the process of looking around and not be a cheater.

Good for him. And good for you, because if I read your post correctly, you are actually in virtually 100% agreement. You too feel it's not a permanent thing, but you're familiar with him and used to being with him, so the breaking off the titles feels wrong to you... a little.

It's not. You're both right... except for the "friends with benefits" thing. Sex is intended to make babies, so us using it for recreation is merely us being fooled by Mother Nature... she wants babies, even if we're not in healthy permanent relationships... she wants babies.

So be careful here. Having sex with someone you have no intention of spending a lifetime with is not in your best interests. Mother Nature wants you to forget that.

Meanwhile, shake off the thoughts that he's doing anything bad "to you" here. He's not. He's just the first one to do what you both know is the right thing... starting to look for that real "permanent thing" love that's out there for both of you.

Sep 26, 2008, 03:23 PM

The thing is I don't understand why we're not in love because like I said there is a crazy physical attraction.. We can talk for hours about anything and there's no pressure. But yet I'm not upset that its over.. maybe cause he says he wants things to be the same.. Ahh he's just so detached from his emotions.. He's had 6 other gf's apart from me and this has happened with all 6 of them.. He says he doesn't know what's wrong with him and why this always happens to him.

I feel like it was wayy to soon to end it and if we were together for a longer period then we would have more time to see where it could go. What can I say to him to make him see this? I know trying to convince him will not work but I don't want to end it completely yet.. I really feel as though in a way we have unfinished business lol... So what's the best approach to take here?
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 03:40 PM

You FULLY understand his intention, it is as clear as the sun: HE JUST WANTS SEX, you want more.

So I don't see the point why you are still talking to him. You are only EXPOSING yourself to pain, disappointment and frustration.

I hope brain will still overpower libido here.
    Lizzie7777 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2008, 03:41 PM

I'm going through the Same thing. Serious this time. My ex broke up because he says he doesn't love me. Yet he flirts with me and says stuff to me that he doesn't say to any other girl. There's definitely some attraction there. Now were just friends. We talk, laugh, he ignore me sometimes. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just make yourself even more valuable. Don't give in too much. Hold back on some stuff that you do with him. If he really wants you, he will want more of you to come out. And he will pursue you. Trust me, confusing a guy drives them crazy. Same thing to a girl. I'm not saying to play games with him, but like don't sleep with him etc. If you do too much, he will think that he can still have all of you without having to be bf/gf. Hope I helped and best of luck.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 04:03 PM

You stated he has commitment issues and he admitted this to you. This was him warning you.

Secondly, maybe the relationship never turned to love because your only have a physical attraction to one another.

Having sex and engaging in actitives that a couple does will only complicate things. I think you will do better by moving on. Your feelings for him when only increase and since there is no commitment he will be free to do what he wants as Tal stated earlier. Move on now because you get in too deep.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 10:40 PM

I get it that you didn't want it to end, but one thing you must accept, he doesn't feel the same way you do. He has done this before, because he is ready to go after he has what he wants. Once you get over the shock you will realize that.
    kminni01 Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

Sep 27, 2008, 12:03 AM

It sounds like he wants to be with you still, but the whole thought of being in a titled relationship is a big problem with him. Definitely still hang out with him and be friends or whatever because I personally think that he will want to get back together, he just seems like he needs some space for a time. I hope everything works out for the both of you!

<3 kt

Oct 5, 2008, 10:55 PM

Ok so its been 2 weeks since we had "the talk" during this time we have been sleeping together.. A lot.. which is bad I know but it seems like we can't help it. But he is still determined that he doesn't want a relationship.

I'm worried that there is someone else even though he said he would tell me if there was. But if there was wouldn't he be going home with her on the weekends instead of me? I don't know what do you guys think does it sound like there is someone else?

Also I told him that I'm going to go on a date and he got really jelous which is rare for him as he is quite a placid person. But he didn't try and stop me or anything just got pissed off but then changed the subject...
    AmExp Posts: 330, Reputation: 11

Oct 5, 2008, 11:18 PM

So did you get what you wanted out of this?

Oct 5, 2008, 11:32 PM

Yes and no

Oct 5, 2008, 11:38 PM

Do you think that guys can get emotionally attached if they frequently sleep with the same person? Or does that only apply to girls?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 12:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia_T View Post
    Do you think that guys can get emotionally attached if they frequently sleep with the same person?
    NO, not as "cause and effect".

Guys will grow attached to girls they want to attach to, or girls they would've connected to anyway even without the sex. Believe it or not, the sex doesn't effect that.

So, you may be giving it away pointlessly if you think it's a drug he'll get addicted to. Meanwhile, I hope you're enjoying yourself, at least, since when it all falls apart that will be all you take with you...

Oct 6, 2008, 02:22 AM

I was just asking more out of curiosity about the subject.. I know what I'm doing is pretty dumb but lets put it this way I think I'm wayy in over my head now..
    novak Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 02:50 AM
    I'm a male. The physicla attraction I understand. Its like you just want to sleep with the, its normally a feature they have, well that's some research I heard a while back and that attracts you too who they are. Love is different and we are not talking about that. If your both single, go for it but you should try to move on at the same time. Its casual sex. Just stop when you want and if one of you like sum1

Oct 6, 2008, 03:15 AM

Well he said that he is not seeing anyone or looking for someone else. I told him that that was the one rule that if we are going to still sleep together then he can't sleep with other people. If he does want to then he should just tell me and we'll stop.

He agreed and said the same goes for me.. So that's what we've been doing. I keep telling myself I'm going to stop but I can't resist he's so beautiful! I just know its going to kill me when he finds someone else.

I have many guys who want to be with me at the moment and I know I can find a new guy so easily if I wanted its just not the same with other guys I get bored real quickly (I'm not talking about sex here I haven't slept with anyone else).

Ahh I just don't know what to do... what is the best approach to take if I want him back?
    bazan2004 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia_T View Post
    Hi guys I need an honest opinion on what I should do..

Me and my bf (well ex now) were together for about 6 months, overall everything was going really well apart from a few minor arguments..We are both in our mid twenties.

So last week out of the blue he says that he doesnt think it has been working..says this always happens to him in relationships, that he's afraid of commitment and wants to be single.Says he's probably going to regret it. I assumed there was someone else but he seems genuine when he says that theres not.

I dont think that I am in love with him but I do care for him and there is a very strong physical attraction between us. So now he says he still wants to talk/hangout as normal (and also sleep together). I told him that I wouldnt sleep with him if he was planning on being with another girl and he said that he was definitely not. Basically everything will be the same as it was but we just wont have the title of bf/gf?

I'm not really sure wot to do now? Should I keep hanging out with him? I do still want to be together so maybe by doing this I'm selling myself short and he'll never realise that he made a mistake..But we get on so well and I really like spending time with him so maybe if we keep hanging out he'll realise that this whole break up thing was silly? Honestly we had the best night a few days ago (after we broke up) talked for hours/laughing etc

I just dont understand why he wants to do this?
    You have to ask him why at the biginning he start the relation?
    So this man is not suitable to be friend with
    Alan
    bazan2004 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AmExp View Post
    So did you get what you wanted out of this?
    Ofcoure you can get what you want but when a sirous man coming to a girl he's should tell her at the start there is no marage at the end just friend ship
    Alan

Oct 6, 2008, 01:36 PM

Yeah I don't know why he first started the relationship and suddenly doesn't want one now.. we were together for about 6 months not very long but everything was going well overall.. he says this always happens to him in and he has issues with commitment.

But apart from that he has recently got a huge promotion at work and it is very time consuming where he has to be out the country for long periods. But he said nothing would change between us because of this. Well I guess I will try and move on its just so hard..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

After 4 years she says doesn't want a relationship? What do I do? What would YOU do? [ 33 Answers ]

Ok, so where do I begin. I'm male 22 and my partner is about to turn 18 . We have been together for four years and they have been great. However it has been a long distance relationship and we have had our ups and downs. Recently last week when everything was going fine she suddenly dropped a...

Girl I like doesn't want a relationship right now.any way of changing her mind? [ 8 Answers ]

There is this girl that I met last weekend at a house party that I have really gotten attracted to. At the party we stayed up into the early hours and watch a movie with a couple friends. She sat beside me the whole time and got closer and closer into she eventually fell asleep on my shoulder. When...

My g/f told me she doesn't have the time or energy to put into a relationship [ 1 Answers ]

OK so me an my g/f have been dating for 5 months.well it wasn't even a month an we moved in together.she has two kids ones 19 which stays with her mom for different reasons an she has a 3 yrs old too.well everything was fine we did everything together with the little one an stuff.we couldn't of...

Doesn't find me attractive, doesn't want sex with me, isn't sure he wants a relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Please read this, I need your help I'm 18 and so is my boyfriend I've been with him for 10 months and for about 5 months he's telling me he's not ready to commit and isn't sure he wants a relationship.and at points he's said he wants to feel he can do stuff with other women should the situation...

He doesn't want a relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I broke up a few months ago. Then after a certain amount of separation we decided to be friends. Now its been almost 3 months. We talked last night and I told him that I was crazy about him. He said that he had feelings for me too, and that he wanted to get closer again and take...

View more questions Search