Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KM73139 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Self Storage Company did not take my monthly payments as agreed
    About 2 years ago I got a storage unit. At the time I gave them bankcard info to take out my monthly payemnts. In 2 years I never got a phone call or letter telling me there was a problem. I went to get something out of my storage and found myself locked out. At first they told me the manager was out on medical leave and from what they could see I was never listed as renting my unit. They said they had computer problems and got a new computer and did not think they got all the old files onto the new computer, they would get back to me. They got back to me and told me for some unknown reason they neglected to take out my monthly payments, yes they forgot- how not after 2 years can they say that I have to pay them back all that money. There was no problem with my account at the bank, they never called me or sent me a letter saying there was a problem or I was late, now they want almost 700 and won't let me into my storage till at least half this is paid. Is there any legal action I can take for this? Please help me
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KM73139 View Post
    about 2 years ago I got a storage unit. At the time I gave them bankcard info to take out my monthly payemnts. In 2 years I never got a phone call or letter telling me there was a problem. I went to get something out of my storage and found myself locked out. At first they told me the manager was out on medical leave and from what they could see I was never listed as renting my unit. They said they had computer problems and got a new computer and did not think they got all the old files onto the new computer, they would get back to me. They got back to me and told me for some unknown reason they neglected to take out my monthly payments, yes they forgot- how not after 2 years can they say that I have to pay them back all that money. There was no problem with my account at the bank, they never called me or sent me a letter saying there was a problem or I was late, now they want almost 700 and wont let me into my storage till at least half this is paid. Is there any legal action I can take for this?? please help me

I don't see that you have a legal action here - you had some responsibility to notice that in the course of two years your card was never charged for the unit. They provided the agreed service and you owe them - unfortunately for you.

You agreed to pay $X a month for the unit and instead of making monthly installments you are being asked (I think) for that sum - no more and no less - in one "lump."

Now, if they had auctioned off the unit things would be different.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 12:58 PM

Of course if you had only been balancing your checking account you would have known it was not coming out properly, And after that if you had merely been holding that out of the account, marking it into your checking account, you would have the money since it would have been set aside each month.
    So of course you should have known it was not being taken each month when you did your balance.

You owe them the money, they are being good to only ask for 1/2 and having not sold the unit by now.

They have the right to require the payment and sell your property if you don't pay. So you have the right to pay.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 02:05 PM

The onus was on you for not noticing the monthly payment was not paid, not the company who should have been taking the money out of your account. If you want your stuff, I would suggest you pay them whatever they want or your stuff will be sold at auction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My payrate is more than was agreed upon. [ 1 Answers ]

I signed with my recruiter and it was for $23.50 an hour. When I got my first paycheck, the rate was $26.50 an hour. Should I say something? What ramifications could be met if I say nothing and it was a mistake?

Storage company disobeys ca. Courts judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I had a recent issue with a storage faacility who's employees were responsible for burglarizing several units, mine bieng one of them. Anyway long story short I had tried to sue the owner on the storage but since the employee was fired before there was a police investigation the court only ordered...

Girlfriend agreed to a break. [ 1 Answers ]

So me and my girlfriend of 6mo's decided to take a break. I asked her if she wanted a break because all this past week she was "OFF" Anyhow, I got tired of the basically her emptiness. She expressed to me on Friday when I finally asked to talk to her, that she feels empty, like she is just a...

Relinquishing rights responsibilities agreed by both parties [ 2 Answers ]

If both parents agree to the father relinquishing rights and responsibilities, are there any ways to accomplish this without attorneys?

I sold a friend a laptop and she agreed to pay it, but she won't make payments. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok.. a friend of mine agreed to pay two debts, one for wrecking my car and another for a laptop she has owed me money for. It has been on the laptop about a year and several months.. she has paid very little towards that.. and she agreed to pay for the damages to my vehicle when that occurred which...

View more questions Search