Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thuey39601 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Court Summons for credit card debt 1 week before filing Bankruptcy
    I have just passed the means test to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I anticipate filing within the next week. Today I was served a court summons to circuit court by the collection agency representing the credit card. Does the court summons stop my filing bankruptcy or does the bankruptcy stop the court summons?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Once you file the bankruptcy, this will stop the civil court summons and hearing, they cannot proceed. Make sure you have the bankruptcy attorney send it to the civil court and reference te case number
    kbird8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Thank you for your answer. I cannot file bankruptcy because I already filed a chapter 7 in 2002. I only have about $3,000 in outstanding debt total. I sent a debt validation letter to the atty today asking for copies of my receipts and payments to confirm that they are more than 4 years old. I stated that I would be interested in settlement. If I don't hear from them within 3 weeks I plan on answering the complaint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served with summons to appear in court for old credit card debt. [ 4 Answers ]

Today I got served with papers notifying me that "YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that you are required to appear in person or by attorney..." in Flagler County, FL... "for a pretrial conference before a Judge at this Court." I gathered from this wording and the fact that it goes on to say "THE CASE WILL...

Summons from Superior Court re: credit card bill. [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons from the Superior Court (civil). I would like to respond to this summons, however, I have been unable to locate the proper "answer" form online. A credit card company is suing me for $1811.00. I live in Riverside, CA, county. I have been unable to locate any old bills...

Summons for credit card debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a summons for a credit card debt for a credit card my wife took out in my name a few years ago it for 3000 and some odd dollars she never made a payment on it when she tried to about ayear ago they refused it.I am on social security and we have had financial problems for years we filed...

Court summons for past credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 23 year old full time college student and I work part time as a cashier. I just received a summons to appear in court for the amount of $2900.00 that they say I owe them from a card two years ago. I stopped paying on it over two years ago. This is higher than the actual amount of the...

View more questions Search