Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4gotmylife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
    Responsibility for hospital bill?
    I live in TN. I was hospitalized for depression last year 2 times. My insurance approved my first hospitalization. When I was readmitted a few weeks later, my insurance company again approved my admission which was felt to be semi-urgent. To make a long story short, my insurance company, BC/BS, has now denied my 2nd hospitalization after precertifying it and the hospital has billed me $20K for the 2nd admission. I do not deny that I owe my co-pay and out of pocket for the first hospitalization, but am I liable if both I and the hospital were deceived into believing my 2nd hospitalization was covered, only to have BC/BS deny the claim some 3-4 months following my discharge? I would have checked out of the hospital had I know I no longer had mental health coverage. There was a maximum amount of days I had exceeded, which I was unaware of, but BC/BS knew or overlooked. Either way, I feel they dropped the ball, and now I owe a $20K plus the other bill, which I realize I am liable for, which is about $7K. I still have not returned to work full time and my income less than half of what it was in 2004, as I was off work, on short-term disability for about 5 months in 2005. HELP!! :eek:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2006, 06:00 AM
    I would consult a lawyer. But if your insurance precertified the stay and you were admitted only on the strength of that precertification then I would say you are in the clear. However, it may cost you to prove it.

One idea that comes to mind is consulting with the hospital's lawyers. They may feel suing the insurance company gives them a better chance of recovering the costs.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 13, 2006, 05:40 PM
    I agree with ScottGem on this one. Contact the hospital's legal department. If it is documented in your chart that you had a pre-cert, then you should be clear. Sometimes with a hospital like Charter Lakeside that is in my community, they will work with the patient to get to the bottom of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2006, 07:20 PM
    I will agree to a point.

First you have a legal contract with the hosptial. This is between you and them, normally it will say that the bill is your responsibility, if you have insurance they will accept it and bill it but if they don't pay, you are responsible.

So most likely between you and the hospital, the hospital can hold you responsible for the payment.

Now because they gave you information that it would be covered, you may have a case against them. In this case, of course according to the rules you will need to file an appeal to their appeal division.

Often many cases are oked once they go to appeal, I have many many health claims each year and I get about 3 or 4 denied on the first pass, but get all of them oked on appeal.

So in the end, the hospital will hold you responsible an bill you, You will have to deal with the insurance company either by appeal or by law suit.

You need to work out an arrangement with the hosopial to keep them from sending this to collections and ruining your credit while you deal with the insurance company.

Anyway this is how I view it, from common practices and common forms used by hospitals. Only you will know what you signed at the hospital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom's hospital bill [ 4 Answers ]

My mom was sent to a hospital because of an accident and she died. I now get a hospital bill in her name. My friend told me that I am not responsible for it. But I don't know if it's true or not. I couldn't find anything online about this. Can someone point me to the right direction? Thanks.

Assuming responsibility [ 6 Answers ]

HI! After have read quite a few entries on different topics here, I decided that we could all benefit a debate about responsibility- ONE of the important keys to healthy relationships. I decided to open it today, after one of Wildcat's inputs, where she assumed relationships concerning one of...

Is it my responsibility? [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented an apartment in GA. My lease ends in March 2006. However, I need to move out because I got a job in another state. I gave them 60days written notice which is required. I went to apartment office to return keys on 28, Jan 2006. They said they will do moving-out inspection on next day,...

Buying a car on low income with low responsibility [ 0 Answers ]

I am a student. The car that my parents bought for me doesn't run anymore. I want to buy a new car. My parents have bad credit. My grandparents pay for my schooling, but they will not buy me a car. I only make $5000 to $7500 a year. I have no real financial responsibilities. All of my income is...

Taking responsibility for your own actions [ 2 Answers ]

:'( Well me and my boyfriend have been together for 6 months. We had known each other for awhile before we started dating. We love ech other very much but now it's like daniel tries so hard to make me happy that he tells me what I want to hear instead of what's on his heart. When I...

View more questions Search