Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Sep 9, 2008, 04:47 AM
    What kind of counselor should I be Googling to find?
    My husband is a recovering alcoholic who has been sober for 10 months now - which is a wonderful thing. He goes to two meetings per week with his support group, which has been helping him work through some of his issues, but there are a few behavior changes that are not being addressed and that I'm starting to find very stressful.

Quite simply, there are certain ways that he behaves like his mother and other behaviors in which he says and does things in rebellion of how his mother brought him up. When he was drinking, these behaviors were less dominant because he was always a very pleasant drunk and, if I mentioned that he was doing something annoying, he would apologise and try to stop doing it. Now that he no longer drinks, I find myself stressed because when I mention something he's doing that's annoying, he will either deny it entirely or come up with an excuse as to why he has to do it. (We're not talking majorly destructive things here, just little things such as leaving a dirty plate in the living room when he has to walk directly through the kitchen and past the kitchen sink to leave the room, yet he'll scream at our daughter for doing that very same thing. His excuse is that he doesn't have the time to take care of his own mess, but that the child has nothing else so pressing that she can't take care of hers.)

Between the stress at home and the stress at my workplace, I've put on about 35 lbs because of nervous eating habits and am starting to have health issues. I'd like to get into some kind of counseling, but this isn't really a marriage threatening thing, as we have a very strong 25 year bond and recently renewed our vows, and a couple of people we know who've been seeing marriage counselors are worse off than when they started. The last time I went for psychotherapy after my dad died and I was having issues because some people at the church I attended were insisting I should feel guilty for something I may have done that made God want to punish me by taking my father away from me, she insisted that the reason I felt the way I did was because dad was an abusive alcoholic (which wasn't even close to the truth, as he could make a 6 pack of beer last two weeks when money was tight and his form of punishing me was to tell me how disappointed he was in my behavior and sending me to my room to "think about it"). Any suggestions on which type of counseling might help me stop stressing out about things I can't change - or, if you live in the Portland, Maine area, any suggestions for a counselor who is good for such a thing?

Thanks for any suggestions you all can come up with. I'm always pleasantly surprised by the deep, insightful responses I get here!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Have you gone to al-anon meetings. They could be helpful to you. Here is a link
    Welcome to Al-Anon and Alateen

When you have lived with an alcoholic for so long - you get use to a certain way of living. Now that your husband doesn't drink anymore - it is not just an adjustment for him, but your entire family.

In any marriage, communication is key. You need to sit down and talk to him. Let him know how you have been feeling. Let him know how proud you are that he isn't drinking, etc. But with his sobriety has come some changes and you aren't sure how to deal with them.
    Just be honest with him. If he is getting angry, try approaching it differently. Don't start your sentences with "you never or you always". That will put someone on the defensive. And you won't be heard. Try, "I feel like...".

I would try the meetings first, it is an open forum where you can talk to others going through similar things. You might find it helpful.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
    In an marriage damaged by alcohol addiction, *both* partners are sick and both partners need a program go get healthy.

I would recommend you attend AlAnon meetings a couple of times a week for a year or two. No reason to be miserable over the small stuff.

Good Luck in the future,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is a typical day like for a high school counselor? [ 1 Answers ]

I am interested in going back to school to become a high school counselor. :eek: What do high school counselors deal with most in a typical day? Do they focus more on students with social and learning problems, or does most work fall into academic advising and placement testing? :confused: ...

I have am interested in my counselor [ 1 Answers ]

I know that it is pointless to have an interest in him, but I am very attracted to my counselor.He is not too much older than me and we get along really well & I am extremely attracted to him. I'm a recovering drug addict, and am doing well. I do understand the concept of replacing one addiction...

I need to find out what kind of pills I found. [ 5 Answers ]

I found some pills in my sons dresser. They are yellow ,circle shape, it says dan on the front of pill, and the numbers 5216 on the back. I need to know what pills these are before I confront my son. Thank-you!

Can I sue counselor? [ 9 Answers ]

Because a family member is in counseling, It was also necessary for me to have a session with the counselor and I paid the fee. Recently, I contacted the counselor by e-mail and asked if he would be willing to meet again with a young family member who needed serious help with this ongoing family...

Career choice to be a college counselor or adviser? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in college right now I am interested in pursing a career as a college counselor or adviser I want to know what their duties are do they get benefits and vacation and do I need a masters degree and are credentials mandatory:) How much do they pay in this field?

View more questions Search