Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bumpybob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Friendly Lien on My Real Estate
    I want my son, to whom I owe money, to put a lien on my house, which is for sale. He will be paid when the house is sold, but the market is awful, and if I should die before it is sold, I want him to be a preferred creditor. Not the credit card companies.

Can this be done in a proper manner? Pennsylvania property involved.

Thanks for any guidance.

Bob
    deedgrabber Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Sep 8, 2008, 09:45 AM
    You could give your son a mortgage against the house in the amount you owe him. This could be considered full satisfaction of the current debt I believe, and he will now be a secured creditor against the house.

I also believe that this would give him priority over credit card companies unless they have already obtained judgments against you for the debts. Even then, it's not certain that they would have priority due to possible homestead exemptions.

Sounds like a good idea but I'm not an attorney and you should hire one if you want to play out several scenarios of what could happen. Plus you really need one to draft this paperwork anyway.

Sep 8, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Thank you for your input. It was valuable. Since there are no judgments, yet, action now should indemnify my son against getting lost in a creditor feat day. I suspect a lien is cheaper to file than a mortgage, but I will find out.

Much appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2008, 10:54 AM
    To file a lien against a property there has to be a debt that the lien is meant to cover. You can't just file a lien. So Rick's idea of signing a note with the house as collateral then registering it with the county clerk is your best bet.

Sep 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Thanks, Scott

There is a promissory note, I created and we both signed. Perhaps if I get a version of it notarized, it could be used to validate a lien/mortgage. The clouds are gathering with the other debtors, although I am current.

Thanks again

Bob
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2008, 11:07 AM
    The promissory note HAS to list the property as collateral for the loan. Otherwise, the only way to get the lien would be to sue you for the unpaid balance, get a judgement and use the judgement to place the lien.

But if the propertry is listed as collateral, it can then be registered

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of lien on real estate [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a form of some kind to file a lien on a property that the owner owe me money, which form is best to use?

Real Estate Lien [ 3 Answers ]

Three years ago I purchased a piece of property from an individual. The seller had previously sold the property on a land sale agreement. When the buyers on the land sale agreement defaulted I purchased the property from the seller.(The one and only name on Deed) To make everything legal the...

Real estate lien [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lien on my house due to a settlement for a minor child in the home. How does it work when I try to sell the house? What if I don't have the money and won't get enough from the sale to cover the lien?

Real Estate lien [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know how can I file a lien on some real estate that I was a parter in but they sold it and did not pay me

Real Estate Lien [ 3 Answers ]

I have been sued by my X husband for 1/2 of the property in the home I lived in In Indiana. The divorce decree back in 1988 stated, when the wife in the future sells the property the husband will get 1/2 of the proceeds of the sale. I understate that. But I do not understand that the property was...

View more questions Search