Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pink_angel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Landlord trying to keep deposit for items I have no control over
    My landlord is trying to keep my security deposit for stuff that I do not believe I am responsible for. I called her the other day to find out if she had gotten the keys I sent to her and when I talked to her I had asked her when she would be giving me my deposit back and that's when she told me that there are a few things wrong. So I asked her what they were and she said that the kitchen light was not working, which is true it was like that when I moved in. Then see also said that there was something wrong with the faucet but she did not go into details about it, and she also said there was something wrong with the air conditioner,but again she did not tell me what. I only lived there for about three months. And she had no way of knowing what was wrong with the place before I moved in cause there was no water or electric on and she told me that she had not been over to the house to see the condition of it. So what I'm asking is can I be held responsible for the light in the kitchen, the faucet,and the air conditioner?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pink_angel
    My landlord is trying to keep my security deposit for stuff that I do not believe I am responsible for. I called her the other day to find out if she had gotten the keys I sent to her and when I talked to her i had asked her when she would be giving me my deposit back and thats when she told me that there are a few things wrong. So I asked her what they were and she said that the kitchen light was not working, which is true it was like that when I moved in. Then see also said that there was something wrong with the faucet but she did not go into details about it, and she also said there was something wrong with the air conditioner,but again she did not tell me what. I only lived there for about three months. And she had no way of knowing what was wrong with the place before i moved in cause there was no water or electric on and she told me that she had not been over to the house to see the condition of it. So what I'm asking is can I be held responsible for the light in the kitchen, the faucet,and the air conditioner?

It comes down to her word against your word - do you have copies of any correspondence to her complaining of these problems prior to your moving out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord trying to keep deposit for items I have no control over [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord is trying to keep my security deposit for stuff that I do not believe I am responsible for. I called her the other day to find out if she had gotten the keys I sent to her and when I talked to her I had asked her when she would be giving me my deposit back and that's when she told me...

Landlord wants to keep deposit [ 8 Answers ]

A tenant of mine signed a years lease. I jumped through hoops to make this fussy tenant happy. Two months into the lease, she tells me she needs surgery and can't afford the apartment. ( I think she is being dishonest) (her job has health benefits and she has sick days) I have her deposit of less...

Does my landlord owe me security deposit? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I moved out of my apartment on August 1, 2007. I was told that at leat $236.00 of my $600.00 security deposit would be returned because there were some things in the apartment that they charged us for. (there was one small golf ball size hole the wall from my treadmill, which I...

Landlord kept Deposit! [ 9 Answers ]

My girlfriend recently rented an apt. Her security deposit was $400. She took over a lease for a lady so she resigned a lease. The guy that owned the apartment lived 2 hours away, so he never came to the apartment... it was all done through mail. Halfway through the lease, she wanted out and...

Landlord Kept My $600 deposit & You won't believe what for! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Bridget and myself along with my 4 children ages 18, 15, 14 and 3 rented a house for 1 year. My deposit was $600 and upon moving out, they charged me for lawn cutting, scrubbing the floors and other simple cleaning and extermination. It mentioned that the extermination was my...

View more questions Search