Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earthladyj Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jun 28, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Landlord wants to keep deposit
    A tenant of mine signed a years lease. I jumped through hoops to make this fussy tenant happy. Two months into the lease, she tells me she needs surgery and can't afford the apartment. ( I think she is being dishonest) (her job has health benefits and she has sick days) I have her deposit of less than 200.00 . I also have her last months rent. She owes me a years rent because of this breach of lease, right? Do I have to give this back? She tells me that she will get an attorney. I live in Florida.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
    You're lucky to be a landlord in Florida. In Florida the law says that you don't even have to look for a new tenant if your current tenant breaks the lease. You're allowed to sit back and collect the rent for the entire year whether she lives there or not.

If you decide to look for a new tenant then you are entitled to keep collecting rent from her until a new tenant starts to pay rent or until the lease term ends, whichever is earlier.

Within 10 days after she moves out, send her a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, that her deposit and last months rent will be applied to the rent that is still due from her until you either get a new tenant or the lease term is over.

Jun 28, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Thanks Lisa, everyone thinks landlords are so wealthy, Im not. I was lucky to make my mortgage this month. In Florida, the cost of living is outrageous. My insurance bill was 3,000 dollars for a small duplex, not to mention the taxes. The woman gave me 8 days notice and then came knocking and screaming at my door. I refused to open the door to a screaming woman. I found out that she moved in with some guy. Trust me, she's driving a new car and I have an old one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 05:41 PM
    She owes you the rent till you find another tenant, In Fl you do not have to look for one, but you should be looking for one. The women will owe you and I would be sure to bill her for every penny

Jun 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Thank you. I just hate it when a tenant signs a lease and then breaks it. They don't know what we have to go through and what we got to pay to get someone in there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
    As a landlord I often make sure the tennatn hates it when they break it by the time I get done with them.

Jul 4, 2008, 04:46 PM
    I always wait till the tenant leaves before I tell them they aren't getting their money back (it doesn't happen often) because I had some tenants I inherited when I first bought the place. They were drug dealing and had a gang hanging out all the time. I threw them out and they destroyed the place. Im not kidding , 5 foot holes in the wall. The Davie police did NOTHING, said it was a civil case. It was a father and daughter and the father died of hepititis and the daughter was underage and took off to unknown areas. I had to fix the place up , on my dime.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    As a landlord I often make sure the tennatn hates it when they break it by the time I get done with them.
    I completely agree! She broke the lease. You need to file suit against her. You may never collect on your judgement, but it will go on her credit (make sure you file and abstract of judgement with the county once you get it!) You ABSOLUTELY do not owe her a dime back! She owes you.
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jul 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
    I don't know if you can in FL, but I know if you win a civil suit against someone in IN you can request to have a lien put on their house or veh. So if it ever gets sold you get your money before she does or anyone else (except maybe the government :D)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord does not refund the deposit. [ 7 Answers ]

I am staying in jersey city,New Jersey. I had rented an apartment before 5 months and me and landlord had just verbal agreement. The verbal agreement was that when I leave the house I would get my deposit back. I don't have anything in writing that would prove that I had paid for the deposit. I...

Landlord kept Deposit! [ 9 Answers ]

My girlfriend recently rented an apt. Her security deposit was $400. She took over a lease for a lady so she resigned a lease. The guy that owned the apartment lived 2 hours away, so he never came to the apartment... it was all done through mail. Halfway through the lease, she wanted out and...

Landlord Kept My $600 deposit & You won't believe what for! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Bridget and myself along with my 4 children ages 18, 15, 14 and 3 rented a house for 1 year. My deposit was $600 and upon moving out, they charged me for lawn cutting, scrubbing the floors and other simple cleaning and extermination. It mentioned that the extermination was my...

Landlord deposit return [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, when I moved into my current apartment eight years ago I gave the landlord a check for first month and security deposit. I live in Massachusetts, I have researched the law about what the landlord is supposed to do with my security deposit which is to put it in a bank account and it will...

Landlord won't return deposit [ 7 Answers ]

I moved out of my apartment on9/1. My deposit was supposed to be to me 21 days later. The land lord never said that there was a problem, never gave me list of repairs or cost for cleaning. The apartment was left spotless, I even painted the entire thing, had the rugs professionally cleaned etc. I...

View more questions Search