Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Aug 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Signs of dominance
    I'm a frequent viewer of the show Dog Whisperer, so I learned quite a bit from it. One thing I learned was that you can tell if a dog is dominant by his body language. I myself would not say my dog is dominant he doesn't seem to be at all, not the littlest bit. However one of the signs is tail up in the air. My dog has his tail in the air 24/7, I just always assumed that because of him being a husky that's just the way he was made. Am I wrong, is he displaying dominant body language?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Aug 19, 2008, 11:20 AM
    He has to be talking (whispering) to some one for him to be using body language. Although he is comfortable with his tail in it's "normal" position he is capable of moving it around when he wants to. Any change in normal behavior is what you want to be reading meaning into. He sounds like a happy go lucky fellow most of the time. Congrats!
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Aug 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Yes, it's a husky thing. They often carry their tails straight up and slightly over their backs, but not to either side like a malamute. My ladies tails are almost never straight down. They are either up or half way in between and kind of curved like a sickle, and they are certainly not dominant in the least bit.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Aug 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Thanks guys. I have to tell you, after we got rex I was told by relatives many bad things about this breed, they were stubborn and crazy they just had too much energy.
    I was told we should have just gotten a lab, because they were the perfect dogs. But I've never seen a dog more well behaved then mine, I am not bragging and I am certainly not over exaggerating. He fits the husky description to a T. He loves people and children, and he's very gentle and affectionate. Although unlike what they say about most huskies he's calm and spends most of his day laying around. And he is not destructive not in the least bit, he has never been one for chewing(thank god). I would recommend his breed to anyone wanting a dog as a companion.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Aug 19, 2008, 01:47 PM
    They have a reputation from some people who just want a particular breed of dog as a status symbol, it's just a possession to them instead of their best friend. Huskies were really popular in 1970's and 80's, maybe too many produced to meet demand like has happened for dalmations, jack russels, pits etc over the years, you know, people breeding indiscriminately just to make a buck, absolutely no one training any of them etc. How lucky you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Complete and incomplete dominance [ 6 Answers ]

What's the difference between complete dominance and incomplete dominance?:confused:

Showing Dominance [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering how men show dominance? What kinds of words / tricks do they do?

Complete dominance [ 1 Answers ]

What is complete dominance? :confused:

Dominance urinating? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 dogs, a 7 year old male Cocker Spaniel, a 4 year old female Weimaraner, and a 2 Year old male Wiemaraner, all in excellent health. The problem is with the Cocker Spaniel (Jack) and the male Wiem (Tucker). The male Cocker has been the undisputed pack leader since Tucker join our family,...

Dog dominance aggression [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old fixed male golden retriever. My problem is he is become increasing dominant aggressive with my and my teen boys. (Never with my husband though). He will take things (usually a remote or phone) and run behind a bed, couch, TV etc. When I reach in to try to get the...

View more questions Search