Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    islandmouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Confusing relationship?
    I'm 20 and a college student. I've been dating this guy for almost five months and we're on summer break right now. We started dating/being in a relationship toward the end of the last semester and things were great. I saw him about three times per week or so, which was ideal for me so I could balance my school work. I ended up having sex and losing my virginity to him before the summer.

When we separated for the summer, we kept in contact for a while. Initially I wanted to hear from him every day, but this was a new relationship and I didn't want to seem clingy. So we would text a few times per week and he would usually call me about once per week. Well, at some point he stopped calling me. It's been over a month now and I haven't heard from him. I've been the one to pursue the contact the last few times and I inevitably just got fed up and stopped trying to contact him. I just assumed he would contact me, but he hasn't.

A good friend of mine thinks he may have been cheating on me -- there isn't any proof, but he insists that this guy probably wasn't faithful if he hasn't been in touch. I don't really know what to think. For a while, I felt really used and somewhat upset about it but now I've started not to care at all. I saw this as a relationship, but now I'm starting to think he sees this as a friends with benefit scenario. I don't know how I feel about that, given this is my first (supposed) real relationship in some time. And I also don't know how to respond/react to him if he contacts me back on campus.

Ideas? Thoughts?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 10:39 PM
    You don't know what he is doing, or thinking, so don't assume. Call ,and find out, but I would imagine if he had an interest, he would have contacted you. Find out, and then you'll have an idea of what the next step for you would be.
    I've been the one to pursue the contact the last few times and I inevitably just got fed up and stopped trying to contact him. I
    Do you mean texts or phone calls?? Did he reply??
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Relationships are based on communication. You two aren't communicating. You're not in a relationship. Seriously... a month! Could you let even 3 days go by without saying "hi" to someone you were in love with? Of course not.

So, sure, you can keep after him with "are we together or not" queries, but you already know the answer. No need to be fatalistic about it.

You didn't "lose your virginity" to this guy, you gave it to him willingly. It wasn't misplaced, you chose it, enjoyed it, experienced it, and now you're both on to other things, right?

Take the reins off this horse and stable it. Put your mind and energies into other people and other endeavors. You don't even need to get mad at this guy. Many guys are cowards in the breakup department. It's sad, but its understandable. People want to avoid discomfort and some guys simply flat out DO avoid it by ignoring it.

Just accept it and try to hold onto the fond memories so your memories of "your first time" and perhaps your first love can be good memories. No need to disparage it just because it's over.

Take care.
    islandmouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    You don't know what he is doing, or thinking, so don't assume. Call ,and find out, but I would imagine if he had an interest, he would have contacted you. Find out, and then you'll have an idea of what the next step for you would be.

Do you mean texts or phone calls???? Did he reply????
    I texted him a few times, he responded but I had to initiate it. And then I called him -- he had been the one to call me during the summer, so I felt that I should call him. The call was a bit awkward and he said he'd talk to me later. I didn't hear from him, so a few days later I texted him to see how everything was and I didn't receive a response. That was about four weeks ago. I have refused to be in touch since then
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 07:14 AM
    I think you have to wait and see what happens when you return to campus.

Your imagination can run away with you when truethfully no one knows what he's been doing.

The fact that he's not contacted you indicates that, maybe it's over and he's just got on with his life.
    Perhaps he took it less seriously than you did.

Again I am only assuming, I could be totally wrong.

I think you need to not dwell on this situation,go out with your friends and enjoy the rest of your holiday... I'm sure he is
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
    That was about four weeks ago. I have refused to be in touch since then
    Sounds as if you both stopped trying, and this thing died.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 08:16 AM
    It sounds as though the relationship has died, neither of you put work into it until it was too late. Use this as a lesson learned, relationships take work, especially ones with long distance involved

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusing, tragic relationship: A case of bad timing [ 7 Answers ]

I really must be desperate for advice if I've resorted to cyberspace, but here goes. This girl and I both just graduated high school, 18 years old. We've been good friends for two years now, but our relationship has been a roller coaster ride. I first recognized she was really starting to get...

Confusing, poorly timed end of high school relationship- What to do now (long read) [ 1 Answers ]

I really must be desperate for advice if I've resorted to cyberspace, but here goes. This girl and I both just graduated high school, 18 years old. We've been good friends for two years now, but our relationship has been a roller coaster ride. I first recognized she was really starting to get...

Confusing Relationship [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all- This may seem dumb, but I have NO idea what about this guy at my school. We have been aquaintances for two years and taken many classes together. We have had deep conversations about many things and, though we do not always agree, I walk away feeling fulfilled. We always have great...

Confusing co worker relationship [ 13 Answers ]

HELP! One day while bandaging a co workers cut finger I said I wondered if I was like a mom or sister to him. He replied "Neither, because I would have sex with you". I had no idea that he thought that. After that we started flirting a bit, and on his birthday I told him I would give him a...

View more questions Search