Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gougas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Hampton Bay under counter lighting
    I've purchased Hampton Bay under cabinet lighting set, 3 hockey puck type lights. The kit comes plugs and switch to work in conjunction with a hot outlet. I would like to have these lights work on a tradition in wall switch. I have already increased my light switch box from 1 to 2 and the switch is ready to use. Instead of having to use this on a plug with the provided plugs/switches, can I fish the wires through the wall and connect it to the new available wall switch? I had intended to fish the 3 lights provided wires, through the wall to a junction box in the ceiling and then from the box, via romex, to the wall switch. Is this OK to do?

Thanks,

GG
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2006, 02:41 PM
    If you are proposing to fish the fixture cord through the wall to get to the switch, then no, this is not allowed.

No cord is allowed to be treated as building wire or cable, and is not allowed inside walls or ceilings.

You can have the switch control a new receptacle, say in the upper cabinet, and have the cord and plug go through the bottom of the cabinet and plug into the outlet.
    gougas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2006, 12:38 PM
    tkrussell,

Thanks for the quick response.

As a follow up question; would it be OK to have the fixture cord go through the wall to get to the switch, if it was in conduit first and then through the wall?

Gus
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2006, 12:40 PM
    The cord can go through a raceway, conduit, or even flexible conduit ( the outer sheathing of BX is flexible conduit).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Track Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing Hampton Bay track lighting in my kitchen. I am wanting to use the H design with two parallel tracks. Using two 4' bars on each side connected with a 2' bar in the middle. We have one side hooked up but when we tried to put the T connector in the other side it would not fit. Do...

Hampton bay track lighting [ 1 Answers ]

We just installed a hampton by track and bought Halo by Laser lights. Nothing is working. Are they not combatible? They are both "3-wire" systems, (I believe called "H" systems) with 2 wires on one side and one on the other.

Hampton Bay exterior lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay exterior porch light fixture with a sticker that reads: Use only A19 bulb 100 watts maximum. My question is: Can I use a compact fluorescent bulb 14watts? Thank you

Hampton bay cable lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought cable lights for my bedroom. Can I alter the length of the cable rod that is attached to the halogen fixture without damaging the fixture?

Hampton Bay Track Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have Hampton Bay track lighting in a bathroom and now two of the heads will not work, I have replaced with new heads and still will not work, can move the last two heads that do work to any place on the track and they work. Have replaced bulbs with one that have confirmed working.

View more questions Search