Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cam24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Bankruptcy help
    I am trying to go through bankruptcy, I have to get all my information together for my consultation. I live with my father and I was just wondering if anybody knows if this will hurt him at all? I have about 24,000 in debt all through credit cards, I am now off work for medical reasons expected to be for possibly a year or more. When I do get short term disability , it will only be about 460 a month. I only have about 300 saved so I can't even afford to pay one of my credit card bills. I have to pay 150 a month for health insurance, and I am supposed to be paying my father about 300 a month also,but right now I can not. I just wanted to know if my father will be involved in any way, because he has like 10,000 in the bank , my name is also on the account but he did that over a year ago because of his medical problems, just in case something were to happen to him. Does anyone know if they would count that as well, it is not my money, it is his and he actually got that money from a loan when he was off w/ medical problems about 3 months ago. If anyone could answer any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!:)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2006, 07:44 AM
    That could cause a problem. Of course this should be a top priority question at the consultation.

My first thought is to have your name removed from the account, but have your father sign an agreement at the bank that would allow you to act on his behalf... rather than being named on the account... but I fear that since your name has been on it, it might come up and still be an issue.

I do hope someone who knows more specifically how this will be handled will come along here before your consultation, but if not, definitely be sure to cover that issue first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Yes it could

I also wonder several things, if you are going to have a lot of medical bills in the next few months and will not work for over a year, why not wait till then to file, since if you have no money, no income other than disability there is little any debtor could do.

But please discuss all of this with your attorney.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    since if you have no money, no income other than disability there is little any debtor could do.
    ... but they could attach an account with your name on it...

Yep, a big issue needing legal council.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If someone files bankruptcy, and then finds out a rich relative dies and is in line for an inheritance, how will that affect the bankruptcy proceedings.

Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

I was declared bankrupt in Dec 03. I have not had any correspondence stating the length of time l am bankrupt. Is there a site l could go on with maybe a register of bankrupts?

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If you file chapter 7 do you lose all your IRA savings?

View more questions Search