Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dale coria Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Old vinal floor removal
    Is there a method or chemical for removing the glue and backing from an old vinal sheet floor. Other than a heat gun?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Most installers use a floor scraper that has a 4" razor edge. Time consuming but effective. There are also larger machines the size of a floor buffer that chip and remove flooring, you can rent them.

Aug 7, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Most installers use a floor scraper that has a 4" razor edge. Time consuming but effective. There are aslo larger machines the size of a floor buffer that chip and remove flooring, you can rent them.

I have been using a 4 inch razor scraper and a heat gun. Major pain in the but. I was hopeing for a chemical solution to weaken the strength of the mastic to make scraping easier. I am almost ready to just put a new subfloor right over the top and call it a day. Any suggestions for a chemical remover ?
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Aug 7, 2008, 03:09 PM
    I would venture that any chemical that would attack the glue would probably cause a fire hazard, or the fumes would be toxic, or both. I sympathize with the aversion to scraping.

Aug 7, 2008, 04:04 PM
    I have not found any chemical solution but I agree it's a pain. I had to scrape a 24x24 room that had glued rubber paded carpet so I know what you mean.

Aug 10, 2008, 05:44 AM
    I have to replace a beam in a barn. It runs down the center from gable end to gable end. I am going to use 2 2by 10s with a piece of 3/4 plywood glued and nailed between them. It is a 20 foot span. Do I have to use a 20 foot 2by or can I use smaller ones and stagger the joints.

Aug 10, 2008, 09:00 AM
    A lot depends on the load you are carrying but I would not splice smaller pieces together. Your are creating an engineered beam so stay with 20' 2x10. Your ply will have seams and that's OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glue removal.hardwood floor [ 7 Answers ]

Any special solvents to remove flooring glue from hardwood flooring... or home remedies?

Vinal plank flooring [ 4 Answers ]

What is your opinion of vinal plank flooring, and is there a difference in quality if price is higher in one store than another thank you kay5

Hardwood floor removal-asbestos [ 1 Answers ]

We have removed our carpet and have discovered old tile-like hardwood (9" x 9" squares). We haven't decided what to replace it with, but we're thinking of trying to refinish the wood. (Is it worth trying to fix?) A lot of the pieces are broken. Problem: It is painted (white and army green)......

Floor Flange removal [ 5 Answers ]

I'm stalling a new tile floor and will be removing the existing sheet floor that runs under the present floor flange. The floor drain is a 4" pvc. Since a sub floor will be installed and since the sheet material is under the old flange, I thought I needed to remove the existing flange. In doing so...

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

View more questions Search