Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dakotakid Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Home Aluminum wiring?
    Some 8 months ago we did a kitchen remodel to include replacement of all the appliances. My Sears ceramic kitchen range is fed from the breaker box with aluminum wiring. In-order for me to make the new range fit I had to splice a short copper pigtail onto the aluminum wire and then lower the outlet to allow the range to slide back into place. I utilized split bolt connectors at this junction and believe all connections are tight, etc. It seems that the range takes quite a long time to either boil water or even to pre-heat the oven to a given temperature. I am wondering if I have a problem with the range itself, or if I may have a wiring problem. Everything works fine but it is just slow to heat anything. I do not want to have to re-wire this appliance unless absolutely necessary as attic accessibility to minimal. If I did have to re-wire with copper wire what size would be needed on a 40 amp circuit? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2008, 09:23 AM
    OK I work for the company that makes these in a call center and we answer theses questions all day I rely don't think its your wiring it's the stove it self we have had a lot of this if I was you and it is under a year old I would call and have them come out to fix this under the warranty if you don't have the 1 year on it still then I would call and get a extended warranty on this just don't tell them that it is not working well or it will not be covered for a existing problem so if it is over a year or out out warranty then I would buy a extended warranty wich you can do at anytime and then wate a few weeks give them a call and have them come out and fix this its either your control panel or the wiring in your control panel and they can easily fix this but if you don't have a warranty on this it can get costly like 500.00 for a control panel alone and then have to pay to have someone put it in hope this helps
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Aug 6, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Others may say different, but I say run a new 4 wire (#8-3 *cu with grounding conductor) circuit. I prefer copper for all my cooking appliances, yet you can go with a # 6-3 Alum with ground---if you want to save money.
    *cu=copper

To add:
    Your splice is in violation
    also

I'm not going to get into splicing alum to alum, or copper to alum. As I said in the begin, I would run a new circuit <copper>.

Wait for others to comment on their preference.
    coachbo1955 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Get rid of the aluminum altogether and go with a new copper circuit, I don't like aliminum wiring myself, and I would never try to splice aluminum to copper. From what I have seen over the years, any loose connection in the aluminum wiring will cause problems for you and may even start a fire. Don't chance it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Receptacles and Aluminum Wiring [ 7 Answers ]

I wish to add GFCI outlets to make my kitchen outlets safer for me and my family. I have aluminum wiring in my house, but I couldn't find CU/AL rated GFCI outlets at the store. I'd like to know which is a safer option: reguler outlets in the kitchen that are CU/AL rated or GFCI outlets that are...

Wiring a mobile home [ 4 Answers ]

I'm running the service for my trailer and I need some help with it. I have a 200 amp panel in the home and a 200 amp panel on the pole. But the panel on the pole only has one set of lugs on the top of the main breaker. Do I need lugs on the bottom of the panel to put the wire in from the trailer...

Questions about house with aluminum wiring [ 11 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home with what appears to be 80% aluminum wiring. The outlets and switches all worked fine, but were not rated for aluminum use. Prior to purchasing the home I spoke with my insurance agent and she indicated they would need a certificate of inspection from our local...

Old home/Old wiring trying to update [ 1 Answers ]

I found old ( what I think is BX ) flexible metal cable containing cloth covered wire ( two wires ) behind the medicine cabinet I am replacing. There was a splice in the middle. But the splice was only taped. I would like to replace this old wiring. Some places I can get to. Others I cannot. ...

Wiring a new home [ 1 Answers ]

How many watts can you put on a 20 amp breaker?

View more questions Search