Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tariko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Does getting a divorce affect my Permanent Resident Status?
    I came as dependent to my wife in Canada. Now we are planning divorce. After I divorce here, does that change my status as a permanent resident? Do I have to apply again for myself to come back to Canada, if I will travel for a short vacation?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
    I don't have enough info... please provide details such as what nationality you are, how long you've been married, etc.
    tariko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 05:22 PM
    I am Egyptian, we came as a family since September 2006 to Canada. We were married since 7/7/1987 . I was separated since 21/4/2007 until now. I am planning for a divorce. The strange thing that she wants to start the papers of divorce in Egypt. I know that Egyptian laws does not apply here. May be after divorce she can make problems to me in the Canadian Embassy in Egypt?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 07:09 PM
    You are wrong about divorce in Canada/Egypt. Marriage/divorce is recognized in other country as well as in your home country. For example, both of you live in Canada, so you may choose to file the divorce either in Canada or in Egypt. It may be easier, and less lawyer fees to file a divorce in our home country, plus you don't need to establish residency in foreign country, etc.

In this case, if the divorce is final, your visa status is automatically terminated even you still have time left on your passport. You should consider changing status to other non-immigrant visa before the divorce is final. .
    ducky.kumar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 03:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    You are wrong about divorce in Canada/Egypt. Marriage/divorce is recognized in other country as well as in your home country. For example, both of you live in Canada, so you may choose to file the divorce either in Canada or in Egypt. It may be easier, and less lawyer fees to file a divorce in our home country, plus you don't need to establish residency in foreign country, etc.

In this case, if the divorce is final, your visa status is automatically terminated even you still have time left on your passport. You should consider changing status to other non-immigrant visa before the divorce is final. .
    Hi,

So, Do you mean to say, once someone gets divorce then her or his visa status terminate immediately?? And if he or she dependent then has to leave country??

Fact Matter-----

I am Permanent residence in Canada. Now, I wish to get divorce. So what about my visa and my kid?? I am dependent with one kid. Once, I get divorce do I need to leave canada or can I stay in canada? If yes, on what basis??

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident status after divorce? [ 1 Answers ]

I was married for 5 years with US citizen, and have a permanent resident VISA status that was acquired from marriage. I'm now divorcing and want to know what are the implications to my VISA status. Do I have to file any forms to immigration department during the divorce? I live and work in US, and...

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

L1/J1- Permanent Resident Tax status [ 1 Answers ]

At the start of 2005 I was single and employed on an L1, my Fiancée then received a J1 and started work in mid-Jan as a Post-Dpoctral research scientist. We got married on June 25th and my Permenent Resisdent Visa was issued in late August through the US embassy in London. My wife received her...

View more questions Search