Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eprevite Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Resident status after divorce?
    I was married for 5 years with US citizen, and have a permanent resident VISA status that was acquired from marriage. I'm now divorcing and want to know what are the implications to my VISA status. Do I have to file any forms to immigration department during the divorce?
    I live and work in US, and have no children.
    Thanks
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
    If you have become permanent resident (have 10 years greencard), divorce does not jeopardize your status. However, you must maintain residency for 5 years to be able to apply for naturalization.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status Resident or Non-Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a citizen of INDIA and came to USA on 13, August 2003. I am on H1-B visa currently and would like to know, whether I come under resident (on substantial presence for more than 3 years) or Non-Resident? What form should I fill to file my taxes?

Confused over resident/non resident/dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in US on H1B visa from July 22,2007 , along with my wife on H4. I fail the substantial presence test by about 20 days. So should I be filing as Non-resident/resident or dual status ? Talked to one consultant who asked me to file as Non-resident, while another told that it isn't...

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

Non-resident married to a non-resident: filing status [ 6 Answers ]

I am on H1b and does not pass significant presence test in 2007. My wife lives in home country and had been in the US for less than 30 days in 2007. I think I will need to file 1040nr. Am I single or married? I noticed that on w-4, there was a line saying" if you are married to a non-resident...

W4 marital status filling? Non-resident on F1 OPT married with non-resident on F2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got married, in Massachusetts, on August 10th 2007, and now I started to understand a little bit better how the W4 form works for non-residents in F1 Visa with an OPT (Optional Practical Training) autorization. The situation is that my wife is on a F1 Visa, she graduated on May...

View more questions Search