Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beelian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Relationship or priesthood?
    I am in my 40s and I met a wonderful man in his 50s at a regional conference 10 months ago. He has been divorced for more than 10 years and have been preparing for priesthood in the last 3 years. We are from different countries and we fly to see each other whenever we can. I have given my unconditional love and have been saving up whatever I can just to be with him. He had a triple bypass last month and I flew in to be with him for 2 weeks.

Despite assuring me that he loves me, he informed me that the calling to priesthood has not gone away. I am devastated, but I am not sure I can severe this relationship. I told him once that if he chooses the priestly path then it will be too painful for me to remain as friends. Right now, I am not sure I can do this... I am too confused.
    I just cannot understand what is going on in his mind.
    What should I do? Shall I continue with this relationship and wait for a decision?

Appreciate if someone can give me some insight as to how to handle this. Thank you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 10:13 PM
    I don't know what to tell you.

Obviously the priesthood means allot to him, and so do you.

If it were me I would cut all ties now, it seems he will choose being a priest over a relationship with you, why drag out the inevitable.

I'm sorry that you will be hurt by this, it's not fair that he ever showed you any interest, since he new that he would not be available.

Good luck.
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

Aug 4, 2008, 05:17 AM
    I think you should stop saving up to be with him and visiting him and make yourself available/open to meeting an available man.

You may have a nice relationship with him but he is committed to something else and has taken 3 years up to this point to prepare for a big move in life, unfortunaetly that''s not you!

Save yourself the stress and heartache and realize that this is his personal choice all you can do is make a good choice for yourself by moving on now...

Maybe later you can be friends when the dust settles (your feelings have changed) but for now don't waist your time and money to fly to see him, he can be a friend and visit you but you are too invested in a relationship that is going no where and your investments should be geared towards your further happiness not towards someone headed down a different path than you are.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 06:57 AM
    You have seen where his commitment lies, with the priesthood. You need to decide what you want to do now. Obviously, it's not going to work out in the best way for you, just depends when you want to cut the ties and come to the same realization

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Relationship [ 1 Answers ]

Ignore/delete

Relationship [ 15 Answers ]

My friend is dating this guy I like. Their off and on dating would if they broke up for good should I go head and ask or wait. lovequestioner

How do I know if this is the right relationship? [ 23 Answers ]

Past couple of days I've been debating with myself whether I love my girlfriend or not. I'm the type of person who worries about everything. My girlfriend always says she loves me and I know she does. But sometimes when she says she loves me, I can't say it back:confused:... but there are other...

What relationship should I go for? [ 32 Answers ]

Hey all! As some of you possibly know I resently broke up with my girlfriend. No I just have one question. Many people here have told me to MOVE ON! And I have! :D Not to a new girl or anything yet but I will... in time :) But I dicided not to make any uneeded contact with her for a...

View more questions Search