Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockyabby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 08:46 AM
    How do I deal with a boyfriend thats's very insecure?
    I have been dating this guy for about 10 months now. I am a very independent and laid back person. He on the other hand is very insecure. Our relationship has been going really well and we rarely get into arguments. When we do argue it's because He wants me to tell him all the time that I need him and love him and constantly reassure him. I have never given him anything to be insecure about. He has been married 2 times before me and I think he was insecure like this in those relationships. Is it me, or is he acting like a child does when they constantly need reassurance? I can't give him the reassurance that he constantly needs. I have never had to do that in a relationship and don't know if I am capable of doing that. I have been on my own for a while now and am very independent and reserved. Do you think that he needs some kind of therapy about his insecurity issues? Or do I need it because I am to independent?

Thanks
    Abbyrocky
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jul 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
    He may need some therapy to deal with past hurts and broken marriages. I don't know that there is therapy for being too independent. That's a good thing. Your independent and self assured. It's very possible that he has had heartache's in the past. My guess is that in time he will come around if you continue to support him and not draw additional attention to the "lack of strength". The arguments that you are having now about his insecurity will potentially grow into bigger ones. You growing more resentful that he is unable to "buck up". As much as you enjoy him, it's possible that you are better suited for someone that has the self assurance that you do so that you don't feel that you are caring for him too much. However, in a relationship there is some times a need to give a little, it's your job to decide what is too much.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyabby
    I have been dating this guy for about 10 months now. I am a very independent and laid back person. He on the other hand is very insecure. Our relationship has been going really well and we rarely get into arguments. When we do argue it's because He wants me to tell him all the time that I need him and love him and constantly reassure him. I have never given him anything to be insecure about. He has been married 2 times before me and I think he was insecure like this in those relationships. Is it me, or is he acting like a child does when they constantly need reassurance? I can't give him the reassurance that he constantly needs. I have never had to do that in a relationship and don't know if I am capable of doing that. I have been on my own for a while now and am very independent and reserved. Do you think that he needs some kind of therapy about his insecurity issues? Or do I need it because I am to independent?

Thanks
    abbyrocky

There is a very similar post by a woman whose husband is jealous and insecure and is - literally - destroying her emotionally. I'm not sure that these issues don't just get worse.

I would be worried about two previous marriages.

I would say he's the one who needs to talk to someone.

And some people are like sponges - the more emotional support you give them the more they soak up and the more they want.
    Andrew916 Posts: 182, Reputation: 33

Jul 29, 2008, 09:42 AM
    I definitely suggest some therapy. If your relationship doesn't work out imagine what he'll think. If you are constantly reassuring him and telling him that you need him and you still break up he'll start thinking that even that constant reassurance won't guarantee your love. He'll just get worse and worse till he gets therapy.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
    I have a very different idea that I think might help both of you out. Actually, I think I saw Bluerose give this advice about a year ago, so she probably deserves the credit but I think it could work for you. Sit him down and tell him that you are like and appreciate everything about him but the fact that you have to reassure him. Let him know that you believe this stems from the 2 previous divorces (your not blaming him and in fact you are siding with him and against the two ex's so points in your favor). You want this relationship to grow and you know that he is capable of doing that (again all positive), but you would like to offer him this book Amazon.com: The Self-Esteem Workbook: Glenn R. Schiraldi: Books. The link is for the self-esteem workbook. I've never read it so I can't comment on it but it's something you can offer him and still be siding with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend Insecure about Male Friends [ 6 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for over 5 years now. He has a history of being an impulsive gambler. He would spend hundreds of dollars in 1 night. About 2 years ago we built a house together and married under the impression he had left that life behind. Everything went great at first until I found...

I'm an insecure boyfriend, and don't want to hurt my girlfriend. Jelous and insecure [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, thanks for coming to help out. I don't want to go on a whole large rant, but I do want to make sure that anyone reading this truly gets what I am talking about. My name is Kevin and I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for a little over a year now. I met her in High school and...

How should I deal with my jealous,insecure hubby? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been with my husband almost 7 years now. We have one son who is 3. The problem is my husband is very, very moody, jealous, insecure and disrespectful. Probably wondering why I even bother to try and save our relationship. Well, all I can say is it is not bad all the time and he really...

Finally walked away from insecure boyfriend. [ 10 Answers ]

On my previous post I talked about my crazy relationship... today I have managed to change my cell phone number and walk away... I feel scared, nervous, I don't know so many different emotions are present. I'm scared that I actually chose to get out but I'm sad that all this happened to me. I'm so...

Insecure Boyfriend Never Liked My Career [ 4 Answers ]

I use to work for a bank (7 years). My boyfriend hated the fact that I worked there because I was a manager (thinking young tellers would try something), the hours were crazy (the bank was like my 2nd home), and I complained about the job a lot (he would get frustrated AT ME when I was venting...

View more questions Search